IT advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueayz

Nov 19, 2004
Eastnorth
Anyone can help with this problem I have on my laptop?

My laptop can't access the internet via IE or Firefox although the wireless network is detected. My desktop which is sharing the same wifi network has no such problems though.

The last processes I did on my laptop before it encountered this problem was installing several SONY camera software. Used the programs for nearly an hour with no problems surfing. Then firefox did an automatic update installation. 5 mins after this update I lost connection to the internet.

I had tried to uninstall the Sony programs and reinstalling and now uninstalling Firefox but it has not worked. HP helpdesk tried to help but after trying several methods still failed. They said a port could be blocked and could only recommend a total system recovery. Problem is I had not activated system restore points, and also cannot find my recovery disc.

Can anyone advise any other solution? Thanks in advance.

could you describe the methods that the helpdesk suggested... so that we can see what has been tried so far...

or you could backup all your data, then go down to the HP servicing centre and use their recovery disc...

So far we've tried starting in safe mode with internet connection and some other things too which I can't remember now. I'm trying to save a trip to HP. Is there any way I can burn my own recovery disc again?

Have you tried connecting to your router with a cable? I doubt a system recovery is needed. If you scan for visible wifi hotspots, do you get any results?

Look at ur wirless connection properties..check the IP assigned..

Did the taskbar prompt u "You have limited connection" or something like that..Is there a triangle exclamation sign on ur wirless connection icon?

Bro try restart ur modem n wireless router. Off then On them again. Then try reconnect to ur pc. normally it works for me.

Have you tried connecting to your router with a cable? I doubt a system recovery is needed. If you scan for visible wifi hotspots, do you get any results?

Have not tried direct to cable to router, cos I can detect several routers and connect to my own router with no problems.

Look at ur wirless connection properties..check the IP assigned..

Did the taskbar prompt u "You have limited connection" or something like that..Is there a triangle exclamation sign on ur wirless connection icon?

I know what you mean, but no I do not have the limited connectivity error which would mean I can connect to the router but cannot use it. A tweak in the IP settings solved that. This time no error pops out but when I type in a valid url in IE or firefox it will display an error page.

hi, delete your exisiting SSID under 'preferred networks' which is under wireless network connection properties. Then let your laptop detect your wireless network again. I think you should be able to connect to the internet then.

Bro try restart ur modem n wireless router. Off then On them again. Then try reconnect to ur pc. normally it works for me.

Tried and didn't work.

Oh yah, HP Helpdesk also instructed to stop all processes except windows processes, and still failed.

Tried and didn't work.

Oh yah, HP Helpdesk also instructed to stop all processes except windows processes, and still failed.

Go n check wireless network connections>internet protocol properties> should be "obtain IP address automatically + obtain DNS server address automatically", if you see an IP address allocated, uncheck that option.

or uncheck if you have a proxy server allocated
Go to internet properties>connections>LAn settings>uncheck "use proxy server"

Try see if it works

type this in your firefox browser and hit enter:

about:config

compare this with your desktop.

Have tried all previous suggestions, but still did not work. :cry:

type this in your firefox browser and hit enter:

about:config

compare this with your desktop.

Thats interesting bro, but theres nearly 1000 lines to compare. Are there anything significant that I need to particularly look at?

Have not tried direct to cable to router, cos I can detect several routers and connect to my own router with no problems.

I suggest to try connecting a cable from your laptop to the router. If you can connect to the internet then your problem is in the wireless setting/hardware. But if you still unable to connect to the internet, then it must be a OS issue. Are you using Vista? I have a couple of friends using Vista and they encounter this problem. The solution is re-install back the OS.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.