Issue with Nikon D5000's Live View?

scramblur11

Dec 9, 2004
Sembawang
Hi Folks

Not too sure if this is a problem with live view or just something not right with my camera. Just to check if you guys face the same “issue”?

Usually, I will use the live view mode on D5000 for self portraits with my wife. During a recent trip, I realize that quite a no (maybe around 40~50%) of pictures taken in live view are out of focus. Most of it is taken in P mode with flash so it doesn’t seem to be an issue with shuttle speed or hand shake.

I have previously tested the 18-200 lens with the focus chart using viewfinder and the results came up fine. But earlier I try testing the same lens and camera using live view mode and most of the pictures taken are out of focus.

Do you guys face the same issue using live view for Nikon d5000 or any other brands/models? Not too sure if this is inherent problem for liveview on DSLR? Quite reluctant to bring the cam to NSC again…..

Thanks

i do, but not as bad as out of focus. the camera tends to return to viewfinder mode first, followed by the shutter release. you have to hold the camera steadily for a longer time.

as for the focus, initially i worried the quality was inferior to viewfinder mode, since it took really long to focus in live view. I have taken the same shots with both live view and viewfinder, and if i hold the camera steadily in the same position and shoot both photos, on 100% crops, the quality is actually as focused and sharp.

Last edited:
Live view focus on these cameras is quite slow. I suggest using the VF.

Live view on most DSLRs (other than the latest Sony) uses CD (contrast detect) autofocusing system, which other than Panasonic and probably Sony's NEX3/5, most systems haven't quite gotten the speed up on this. If you're using the Viewfinder, the much faster PD (phase detect) is used in most cameras, including the D5000. It has nothing to do with D5000, Nikon or anything; it's just a technology which a lot of companies haven't got it right yet. Even Sony decided they will use PD with Live View in their latest SLT cameras.

Last edited:
Not sure about Nikon, but Canon has this AF Quick mode when in Live View. In Quick mode, the dedicated AF sensor is used to focus in the same way as with viewfinder shooting. However, the Live View image will be interrupted momentarily during the AF operation.

Not sure about Nikon, but Canon has this AF Quick mode when in Live View. In Quick mode, the dedicated AF sensor is used to focus in the same way as with viewfinder shooting. However, the Live View image will be interrupted momentarily during the AF operation.

Yup, because the mirror flips down, then it has to focus, then the mirror flips up, then it tries to take the shot. Takes quite some time and if you or the camera moves during that time, focus is off.

That's another innovative way of using Phase Detect autofocusing. Kudos to Canon for doing that. Wish Nikon had that too :rolleyes:

thats why the Sony system is great with live view. uninterrupted LV!

Thanks Folks for your replies~!

But does your live view mode focus accurately using the focus chart? I using normal focusing mode and centre focus for my cam.

hmm..maybe I will monitor abit longer, guess if can't take it then will make my way to NSC again....

Last edited:
Live view on most DSLRs (other than the latest Sony) uses CD (contrast detect) autofocusing system, which other than Panasonic and probably Sony's NEX3/5, most systems haven't quite gotten the speed up on this. If you're using the Viewfinder, the much faster PD (phase detect) is used in most cameras, including the D5000. It has nothing to do with D5000, Nikon or anything; it's just a technology which a lot of companies haven't got it right yet. Even Sony decided they will use PD with Live View in their latest SLT cameras.

Not only the latest SLT cameras. Sony first liveview cam A300/350 has been using PDAF all the while.

While SLT uses translucent mirror to direct light to PDAF sensors located at pentamirror position, A3xx/5xx uses the same position for PDAF as per all DSLRs, only that the live view feed is provided by a dedicated sensor located at the pentamirror area.

However both implementation has similar af performance.

Hi Folks

Not too sure if this is a problem with live view or just something not right with my camera. Just to check if you guys face the same “issue”?

Usually, I will use the live view mode on D5000 for self portraits with my wife. During a recent trip, I realize that quite a no (maybe around 40~50%) of pictures taken in live view are out of focus. Most of it is taken in P mode with flash so it doesn’t seem to be an issue with shuttle speed or hand shake.

I have previously tested the 18-200 lens with the focus chart using viewfinder and the results came up fine. But earlier I try testing the same lens and camera using live view mode and most of the pictures taken are out of focus.

Do you guys face the same issue using live view for Nikon d5000 or any other brands/models? Not too sure if this is inherent problem for liveview on DSLR? Quite reluctant to bring the cam to NSC again…..

Thanks

For self portrait shots, usually I would switch the Focus to Face-Priority (in live-view).
Face-priority mode tends to lock focus on my face instead of the background ;)

For self portrait shots, usually I would switch the Focus to Face-Priority (in live-view).
Face-priority mode tends to lock focus on my face instead of the background ;)

Ya that was initially how how I do it. Until I notice that face-priority can only focus when I am facing the camera directly. If my wife / I tilt the face sideways abit, the camera may not be able to focus on the face.

That why I change to normal mode. Even though the whole focusing square is on the face and is green, sometimes the focus could still be out. :dunno: