Israel Jerusalem Dead Sea area

Nikkornos

Oct 31, 2008
Singapore/Asia
Hello

Will be visiting Israel in summer 2012. Has anyone done the same trip to Jerusalem or dead sea area?

Advises will be very much appreciated.

Contemplating bringing DSLR D90 X 2 , Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 HSM and 70-200 2.8 HSM lenses.
Also a Rolleiflex 3.5 F.

Thanks.

wat kind of advices would you like? advices on travelling to israel? doing the dead sea or what? photo related advices? maybe be a bit more specific so that we can help?

Need advices on Photography :)

Will be following the church group. Joel Osteen will be going so might want to zoom in for him as well.

Basically following the tour group but want to capture as much as possible. Anyone who has been there your experiences will be most appreciative.

Last edited:
If you are going through the Western Wall Tunnel, you better hope that your D90 can deal with ISO 6400 or better noise. I went in with a D2x and it wasn't good enough. You might also want to borrow a WA lens 17 might not be wide enough for some shots.

Sharing my experience as I have been to Israel twice.

Thank you very much for pointing that out. Good tips.

I heard that the location will have extreme light conditions. It can be extremely bright on the outside, and also terribly dim on some interiors.

Western Wall Tunnel will certainly be a challenge. I am getting the 10-20mm ultra wide lens, but still F3.5 only.
Looks like have to rely on the Gitzo and time exposure. In the film days, learned to cope with only ASA400-800.

Originally wanted to bring medium format. Now I drop that idea.

Did you go with the tour group or self navigation?

Summer in Dead Sea is very hot and the sun is very bright without any tree. You will need water and ND filter.

Israel is a fantastic place for photography. I went with a EOS 10D back then and had plenty of low-light challenges. Tripod is good if you are able to set it up and time your shots but it might not be a luxury if you have to move fast with other tour members. While it is good to travel light, I would say you might want to have a versatile range of lens to do both wide and telephoto else you might end up missing some interesting shots. Israel has plenty of opportunities for streets, architecture, and landscape photography. I think I had the 10D, 17-40, 70-200, and Manfrotto 190
during the trip.

In addition to equipment, bear in mind that certain places would require bags inspection and though photographic equipment is not affected, it does slow you down at times. Also, always keep an eye of your personal belongings especially if you are in very crowded places. Travel in group and look out for one another. Back then, i saw 2 locals tailing one of our church member who wandered outside the group. Good thing, we rushed forward and created some attention to disperse those possible 'pickpockets'.

Don't get to engrossed with photography but spend time in learning about the history of Israel and explore the place with an open heart. The promised land of God has many wonders even till today. My most memorable part was spending time with the Bedouin's and learning their culture and history. The dates tea is very sweet and is a welcoming drink during the cold weather (we went in December and got back home right in time for Christmas).

Dead sea is very interesting. Practically you will want to swim inside for the floating experience. Just don't get your camera into trouble when you are enjoying yourself in the dead sea.

Wishing you a wonderful trip and God Bless!

Daniel

Hello

Will be visiting Israel in summer 2012. Has anyone done the same trip to Jerusalem or dead sea area?

Advises will be very much appreciated.

Contemplating bringing DSLR D90 X 2 , Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 HSM and 70-200 2.8 HSM lenses.
Also a Rolleiflex 3.5 F.

Thanks.

Yes. Gone to Dead Sea, Masada and Jerusalem in '98.

Dead sea and Masada very bright light, clear air and good for landscape shoot.

Jerusalem old city is interesting, try the old market for something different to shoot.