ISP keeps going down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Hi People,

my home broadband provider keeps going down periodically like 2-3 days every couple of months. Then they offer to come to my house to fix it during office hours so I have to take leave, etc.

I am thinking that this is unacceptable as I need the connection for online trading sometimes. I am thinking of cancelling the contract but currently I am under contract and have to pay the penalty.

I thought there was a standard of service which must be fulfilled by our major ISPs set by some authority in Singapore. Is there anything I can leverage on so as to be able to cancel my contract without any penalty?

Once or twice down I am ok. But my connection is down the third time in the past five months....

Wow, which ISP ?? Im using Starhub and its quite good.

I am using both starhub and singnet in my home (for some reasons...) stuckhub seems gd most of the time without disconnecting but most of the time give god-lag speed . Sinknet on the other hand provide the best speed but will dc once in a while ...

Do i have any other choice ? hiaz ...:(

Hi People,

my home broadband provider keeps going down periodically like 2-3 days every couple of months. Then they offer to come to my house to fix it during office hours so I have to take leave, etc.

I am thinking that this is unacceptable as I need the connection for online trading sometimes. I am thinking of cancelling the contract but currently I am under contract and have to pay the penalty.

I thought there was a standard of service which must be fulfilled by our major ISPs set by some authority in Singapore. Is there anything I can leverage on so as to be able to cancel my contract without any penalty?

Once or twice down I am ok. But my connection is down the third time in the past five months....

You can ask them to waive the penalty because you're not getting the quality of service.. Offer to return them all the freebies.

If it's Singnet, you can ask them to do a line test for you, the tech support will not suggest that to you, so you got to suggest to them. They will get Singtel to do the test because it's Singtel's line, so they might ask you to call Singtel instead.

ADSL is heavily dependent on the quality of the phone line that runs from the exchange to your house. When the Singtel tech comes to your place to do the line test, you will also know what's the maximum bandwidth your line can support.

Anway, after I called for a line test for my parents' place (under my name) they located a line fault in one of their cables underground. After they swapped to another pair, the broadband works well. Previously it was also dropping connection once in a while.

Sigh, they did the line test already.

Has anyone complained successfully to IDA b4?

I read the quality of service standards set by the IDA and it states that the downtime must be less than 1%. Mine is WAY more than 1% already. IDA supposedly can fine singtel for $5000 if failing to satisfy the terms of contract.

My Singnet line sometime do disconnected and will not automatic reconnect online, but after restart the modem then usually everthing will be back to normal. Hasn't face any long down time issue recently, but last year did have 1~2 times for a few hours.

Used to have bad experience with Singnet when I first switched from Pacnet to Singnet. After setting up my package... I was not able to log in. Called the helpdesk and they informed that my line is ok.

Assuming my setup is wrong, I tried to set up according to the instructions. It did not work. eventually I started my long journey with singnet to identify the problem which lasted for 3 weeks... Eventually Singnet gdecided to get their engineers for on site assistance.

The engineer came down and for two days he was trying to identify the problems. The setup was ok, the phone line was ok and on the 2nd day, he realised the problem.

Singnet DID not activate my account all these while. Problem solved and a week later I recieved my 1st Bill from them. :)

meaning you had to pay 1mth worth of bill when you could only use it for a week maybe less? :think:

i am on M1 wireless broadband.. so far so good. Just connect a USB modem into my laptop and i can surf everywhere outside

Pay $23 dollars a month. Speed 512k is ok for me.

:thumbsup:

I am using both starhub and singnet in my home (for some reasons...) stuckhub seems gd most of the time without disconnecting but most of the time give god-lag speed . Sinknet on the other hand provide the best speed but will dc once in a while ...

Do i have any other choice ? hiaz ...:(

i rather a slow connection than NO connection. at least if a page loads slowly I can accept.. but if I'm disconnected while happily chatting online then it's bye bye ISP..

that'swhy I've been with starhub for so long and I fired both the stink and phat ones.

i rather a slow connection than NO connection. at least if a page loads slowly I can accept.. but if I'm disconnected while happily chatting online then it's bye bye ISP..

that'swhy I've been with starhub for so long and I fired both the stink and phat ones.

starhub is running on fibre... definitely better than copper wires. ;)

You can ask them to waive the penalty because you're not getting the quality of service.. Offer to return them all the freebies.

If it's Singnet, you can ask them to do a line test for you, the tech support will not suggest that to you, so you got to suggest to them. They will get Singtel to do the test because it's Singtel's line, so they might ask you to call Singtel instead.

ADSL is heavily dependent on the quality of the phone line that runs from the exchange to your house. When the Singtel tech comes to your place to do the line test, you will also know what's the maximum bandwidth your line can support.

Anway, after I called for a line test for my parents' place (under my name) they located a line fault in one of their cables underground. After they swapped to another pair, the broadband works well. Previously it was also dropping connection once in a while.
they will charge you for the line test. My friend ever tried to pull the same trick before.. they say "can but we will have to charge you $xx for doing the test and $xxx for dunno what other stuff" naturally you'll be turned off.

meaning you had to pay 1mth worth of bill when you could only use it for a week maybe less? :think:

LOL... yes. After making noise... they decided to wave off the month's charge for the 2nd month as the fault lies with them.

Sigh, they did the line test already.

Has anyone complained successfully to IDA b4?

I read the quality of service standards set by the IDA and it states that the downtime must be less than 1%. Mine is WAY more than 1% already. IDA supposedly can fine singtel for $5000 if failing to satisfy the terms of contract.

Oh okie.. so line test has been done... Hmm... Maybe to them, your more than 1% down time is still ot significant enough to them because they have other customers who don't face the asme problems? :dunno: Just threaten to change ISP unless they solve the problem. They cannot slap you with the penalty because they did not fulfill their quality of service.

most prob the 1% downtime is for all users such as server breakdowns where everybody's line is down and not applicable only to one user.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.