ISO's on digital cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johng723

Hi, I was just wondering what the point of the different ISO's on the digital cameras is. When I use my D100 it seems as though the picture has the same quality as when I use 1600 and 100.

John

Originally posted by johng723
Hi, I was just wondering what the point of the different ISO's on the digital cameras is. When I use my D100 it seems as though the picture has the same quality as when I use 1600 and 100.

John

Well, besides noise, which can be discernable at higher ISO, the ISO on DC increases/decreases the light sensitivity of the CCD/CMOS.

At least, thats my understanding.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong of course. :)

John

:rbounce: you have <got> to post that on the www.dpreview.com forum page :devil:

John

Well, assuming the above statement is true. Then you can just take the lower ISOs as merely mild substitutes for ND filters.;p

noise is a big issue rite for high ISO.... but on DSLRs the ISO can be super high like 1000 or 3600.... while on Digicams can reach maybe from 50 - 400.... but on the high settings on digicams i always see losta noise... while on DSLR's high ISO like 1000+ the noise dosen't seem to be really that high.... why is that so? i just don't get it....

I dunno the exact science behind it, but it's got to do with the sensor size. The larger the CCD, the less noisy it is (apparantly). Consumer digicam has puny little CCDs compared to DSLR... :D

Originally posted by darkness
I dunno the exact science behind it, but it's got to do with the sensor size. The larger the CCD, the less noisy it is (apparantly). Consumer digicam has puny little CCDs compared to DSLR... :D

OiC.... that's the advantage then :D so that's why DSLR can reach so high ISO's while Consumer Dcams can reach a limited ISO and get so much noise already...

Originally posted by SianZronG
noise is a big issue rite for high ISO.... but on DSLRs the ISO can be super high like 1000 or 3600.... while on Digicams can reach maybe from 50 - 400.... but on the high settings on digicams i always see losta noise... while on DSLR's high ISO like 1000+ the noise dosen't seem to be really that high.... why is that so? i just don't get it....

On DSLR (like D100), there's Long Exposure NR (Noise Reduction) which helps tremendously to reduce the noise level. Another thing is the graininess increases with higher ISO (when magnified thru' viewers in your computer and NOT on the LCD viewer).

Rgds,
Jeffery

hm... thansk jeffery.... i was thinking... NR on long exposure yes... i have that on my cam and god it works great...

i was thinking more of fast shutter speeds....

Another thing is the graininess increases with higher ISO (when magnified thru' viewers in your computer and NOT on the LCD viewer).

i can't agree more... 400 VS 100 quality vs crappy :D

Btw, dark frame substitution sucks when you're taking fireworks. A 10s exposure will take 20s to finish. :rbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.