isolate a portion of photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

garang01

Feb 24, 2006
Singapore
www.gazproductions.com
I've been trying to do this, but not having had proper training in Photoshop (I learnt it by myself), I can't seem to do this.
I hope I can solicit some advice from the more learned ones.

I'm trying to isolate a portion of a photo and turn the other parts black and white.
For example, a hand holding an ang pow. I just want the ang pow in colour and the rest of the photo in black and white. How do I do that?

has been asked before
to isolate, you have many choices,

i like to use magnetic lasso, not sure if that's the best way, but works for me most of the time
select the thing in color, inverse, then desturate everything else

there's also magic wand, which is horribly inaccurate for me, you can slowly use grow to select everything you need

i understand there's another selection tool , name has edge in it, but i've never used it, so i won't know
magnetic lasso is pretty easy to use though

Since the object you are trying to select is having about the same uniform colour, instead of using lasso, you can actually select by colour selection method which is faster...

Cheers!

garang01 b r u familiar with masks?? if so 1.apply channel mixer adjustment layer, 2. on the mask paint with black brush, part of an image that needs to stay in colour.

I've been trying to do this, but not having had proper training in Photoshop (I learnt it by myself), I can't seem to do this.
I hope I can solicit some advice from the more learned ones.

I'm trying to isolate a portion of a photo and turn the other parts black and white.
For example, a hand holding an ang pow. I just want the ang pow in colour and the rest of the photo in black and white. How do I do that?

Simplest is to just turn the whole photo black and white and then colour the ang pow in with the history brush

For basic conversion, just 3 steps and 1 min can le.
1. Duplicate background layer.
2. On new layer:
a. Desaturate
b. User eraser tool on parts you want colour.
Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.