ISO

mervinlwc

Jul 18, 2010
Serangoon
Hi there, been using a D3000 and is there any guidelines for ISO? For example which scenario should use which ISO settings? Thanks a million!

There are no hard & fast rules. The things to consider are...

1) What shutter speeds do you want/need to get the images you want?
2) Is the ISO high enough for you to use the appropriate shutter speed using available light &/or speedlite?
3) What's your threshold for digital noise?

Cheers

Always use base ISO if possible, use higher ISO only if necessary.

Hi there, been using a D3000 and is there any guidelines for ISO? For example which scenario should use which ISO settings? Thanks a million!

Adding on to what zac08 has given you.

The Exposure Triangle

Additional Information. BTW.. Nikon Base ISO is 200. Avoid using anything below. You can use anything above that but try not to as what others have mentioned. ^^

Last edited:
Additional Information. BTW.. Nikon Base ISO is 200. Avoid using anything below. You can use anything above that but try not to as what others have mentioned. ^^

"Base ISO is 100" - http://links.dpnotes.com/nikond3000.php

"D3000 Base ISO = 100" - http://www.flickr.com/groups/51903796@N00/discuss/72157622556273530/

"The D3000 is unusual amongst other current Nikon DSLRs by offering a base ISO of 100" - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/page15.asp

:dunno:

I usually shoot at ISO100. Is there any reason why you should avoid using anything below base ISO as you have mentioned?

I usually shoot at ISO100. Is there any reason why you should avoid using anything below base ISO as you have mentioned?

There are a lot of Nikon cameras that doesn't go below ISO 200, such as D90, D300/D300s. So you couldn't shoot at 100 even if you want to.

If you mean extended mode, its cos its not within the normal camera operating range and the image quality would be affected

Last edited:
There are a lot of Nikon cameras that doesn't go below ISO 200, such as D90, D300/D300s. So you couldn't shoot at 100 even if you want to.

If you mean extended mode, its cos its not within the normal camera operating range and the image quality would be affected

I understand that Nikon doesn't go below ISO200 in some cameras. But skylover seemed to imply that it was possible but not recommended to go below ISO200. Also, how will the IQ be affected? I don't have a camera with expandable ISO, and I took the liberty of googling this- it seems like there is only negligible loss of IQ as well as occasional metering problems, so I fail to see why it's not recommended- especially when the longer shutter speed possible might be more important than the tiny loss in IQ.

While the base may be 200, you can push it down to 100. :) Some cameras even offer a choice as low as 50.

While the base may be 200, you can push it down to 100. :) Some cameras even offer a choice as low as 50.

I understand that you can go below base ISO on some cameras but since its not within the normal operating ISO range would there be any compromise, if yes, then what's the compromise?

I understand that you can go below base ISO on some cameras but since its not within the normal operating ISO range would there be any compromise, if yes, then what's the compromise?

When you go below, you may lose out on contrast. Note that such ranges below the base ranges, the camera reduces the signals received by the camera sensor and thus this will cause loss of the dynamic range.

Last edited:
When you go below, you may lose out on contrast. Note that such ranges, either above or below the base ranges, the camera reduces the signals received by the camera sensor and thus this will cause loss of the dynamic range.

Oh... i see i see, thanks for the explanation, now i understand better:)

My apologies. Going below reduces signals.

Going above the normal range, i.e. the Hi ranges and the camera has to amplify the signals to get the data, this will then cause noise issues. :)

"Base ISO is 100" - http://links.dpnotes.com/nikond3000.php

"D3000 Base ISO = 100" - http://www.flickr.com/groups/51903796@N00/discuss/72157622556273530/

"The D3000 is unusual amongst other current Nikon DSLRs by offering a base ISO of 100" - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/page15.asp

:dunno:

Oh.. hmm.. noted.. i noe some of the range base is 100 but not sure how many of them are. Still thanks for informing ^^

I understand that Nikon doesn't go below ISO200 in some cameras. But skylover seemed to imply that it was possible but not recommended to go below ISO200. Also, how will the IQ be affected? I don't have a camera with expandable ISO, and I took the liberty of googling this- it seems like there is only negligible loss of IQ as well as occasional metering problems, so I fail to see why it's not recommended- especially when the longer shutter speed possible might be more important than the tiny loss in IQ.

sorry for not elaborating on the reason. Like what others have mentioned. You should now have a rough idea why it is not advisable to go beyond the base ISO. Nikon will show something like Hi 1 or Low 7 kind of reading if you push the ISO below or above. That is not advisable but doesn't not mean you cannot. I'm not sure how many Nikon Camera shows this way as far as I know quite a lot of them will show the reading that way if its above or below..

sorry for not elaborating on the reason. Like what others have mentioned. You should now have a rough idea why it is not advisable to go beyond the base ISO. Nikon will show something like Hi 1 or Low 7 kind of reading if you push the ISO below or above. That is not advisable but doesn't not mean you cannot. I'm not sure how many Nikon Camera shows this way as far as I know quite a lot of them will show the reading that way if its above or below..

Okay noted. Honestly I'm not familiar with Nikon at all, I've been using Olympus since I started out and haven't looked back :p And my camera base iso is 100, with no expandable ISO, so that makes things alot easier on my side!

hmm sorry slightly OT but if low ISO reduces dynamic range, would it be better to use, say ISO400 and an ND filter instead of ISO50 (if you want to keep aperture, shutter the same)?

hmm sorry slightly OT but if low ISO reduces dynamic range, would it be better to use, say ISO400 and an ND filter instead of ISO50 (if you want to keep aperture, shutter the same)?

No. In fact, every stop of ISO you increase, you lose about one stop of dynamic range.

It's just that from what I gather, too low an ISO (ie. below base ISO) will also lead to such occurrences, though the effect is less pronounced.