ISO vs Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwan0029

Nov 16, 2008
May I know if i lower the resolution, can I achieve better high ISO performance?

This was a question I asked many moons ago. Not sure if it still applies, but I think it does.

Essentially, the answer is no. =)

If you are talking about the newer camera models as a tech feature, yes. When implemented as a feature, manufacturer combines pixels in pair to make to light receiving area larger per photosite.

For others, capturing a smaller image size is just to make the output files smaller by reducing the area of the sensor. I thought about this before, tried and found no difference.

May I know if i lower the resolution, can I achieve better high ISO performance?

If you are talking about the newer camera models as a tech feature, yes. When implemented as a feature, manufacturer combines pixels in pair to make to light receiving area larger per photosite.

For others, capturing a smaller image size is just to make the output files smaller by reducing the area of the sensor. I thought about this before, tried and found no difference.

Wondering if using Photoshop to reduce using Nearest Neighbous, Bilinear, or Bicubic Sharper will be useful. :think:

Maybe. If the picture taken from a DSLR at ISO1600 is resized from 6MP to 600x400 using software, the noise is practically undetectable.

why don't you try it?

place your camera on a tripod
set exposure to manual

set iso to 1600
shoot at different resolutions and compare at 100%

let us know the results

Just to clarify, I am only referring to noise and smudging from TS posting.

IMO these are considered noise reduction tools. While better software tools can recover grainy images and in some condition improves picture with dark area noise but they cannot fix severe color noise and smudging.
I cannot remember which brand of camera (maybe panny) but the camera actually takes 1 extra image at lower iso to top up the area where the processor cannot determine the final color. I think is concept is the same as zero-noise software.

If comparing same lighting condition, high iso colour will fade. And depending on sensor, some does badly (e.g Sigma).

Wondering if using Photoshop to reduce using Nearest Neighbous, Bilinear, or Bicubic Sharper will be useful. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.