ISO Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeobt

May 23, 2007
guys,

do you usually set the ISO to auto?
or do you usually adjust the ISO according to the site condition everytime you shoot?

Can someone share the pro n con of the above 2 setting?

personally, i feel that using ISO auto is like using a PNS, the result of the pic may not be as
good as setting the ISO manually. wat is your comments?

all input to this would be helpful n appreciated.

thx, :)

guys,

do you usually set the ISO to auto?
or do you usually adjust the ISO according to the site condition everytime you shoot?

Can someone share the pro n con of the above 2 setting?

personally, i feel that using ISO auto is like using a PNS, the result of the pic may not be as
good as setting the ISO manually. wat is your comments?

all input to this would be helpful n appreciated.

thx, :)

depends on what mode, and what occasion,

but if you want maximum image quality, should keep iso at minimum possible, taking all other factors like whether the shutter speed and aperture is appropriate into account

where image quality less important than getting the shot, since you may not have leisure to change iso at whim and get the moments you want, e.g. at events, then maybe can use auto iso

even then, if i am not wrong, most of the time the camera will select lowest iso possible..

so it really depends.

When u are trying to keep a certain shutter speed / aperture and the scene lighting is uneven and dynamic, auto ISO can take abit of time off handling the dials and getting the shot. With the understanding of its downside in potential noise, it is just another useful tool at the photog disposal.

U can try out some experiments with ur camera in auto and in full manual control and see. Digital gives u instant feedback

Ryan

in daytime or bright conditions try to keep the iso low cos shutter speed would normally be very fast alr except maybe when shooting sports event which would require even faster shutter speed. another application for low iso would be like when shooting landscapes etc. less noise

Please do not see iso as a single generic feature. The pic producted by iso varies with brand and model. When you have a new camera, do a comparison shot, daytime, night (indoor,outdoor,flash) to know its pattern and behaviour, then you imagine and deem fit.
For example, in compact, there is consistency of losing line details at iso400 and above, thus it would not be suitable for trees etc. But for people photo, these may not be an issue.

It all depends on how much control you want over the settings. There's a triangle relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

On my PnS, I set it to auto, let the camera decide. On my DSLR, I'll choose the ISO myself.

noted all replies with thx. :)

I always manually control my ISO (firstly because my camera has no auto ISO :bsmilie:). However, even if my camera did, I'd still have manual control over my ISO. The reason is so that your ISO does not vary between shots, and consequently cause a variation in exposure levels between shots. ISO value can vary in auto ISO when the metering is fooled by something, or simply because the camera deems that a higher/lower ISO value is needed.

Auto ISO only when you're pressed for time to get shots and do not worry about noise issues, i.e. in daylight or slight shade where you may need to bump the ISO up to get the desired shots.

Manual ISO when you wish for full control and you understand and know the implications of using a higher ISO speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.