ISO problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaviourSix

Jan 23, 2006
hi everyone,

i'm brand new here. I have this question regarding ISO. Whenever i use auto mode in low light condition, the picture quality suffers. I understand it's something to do with the noise. The photo turns out to be very very noisy. I suppose my digicam is using ISO 400 to capture the image. To get a smooth picture, i decided to manually set my digicam to iso 100 for every photo i take. Here comes the problem, is it advisable to use iso 100 even in low light condition? Can i compenstate the low ISO with flash? I realise when i use iso 100 on objects which will move, the image become blur. I'm not really whether the problem lies with my hand shake or the object movement which causes the blurred image. I hope i can get better understandings from u guys here!

The camera i'm using currently is Konica Minolta DImage X50. I bought this digicam on impulse last year. Really regretted buying it after i developed interest in photography. I'm quite disappointed witht the image quality though. Moreover, i can't play ard with this digicam as it doesn't have much manual functions.

thanks in advance!

When you activate a lower ISO, and for your case, ISO 100, you will need to compensate the lower light sensitivity by using a longer shutter, say more than 1/40, which will probably being to result with image blur due to motion during the capture.

Using the flash will increase the light in the surrounding, and certaintly allows you to use a shorter shutter speed; for handheld, its best to be 1/50~, in my POV.

Your aperture, f number, should be the lowest as well, say f4.

If at ISO 400 the image is noisy, you should probably try ISO 200 with longer shutter speed.

Hope this help. ;)

for using low iso in dim light it is much prefered to take wif flash. if no flash photography is allowed for some reason, no choice hav pump up iso or even to max if needed to compensated for fast shutter.
image blur can be due to object movement or hand/cam shake, due to slow shutter speed.

If you are trying to take a still subject in low light condition, you have to use a tripod and use set your ISO to minimal.

If you are taking moving subject in low light condition, you can use flash light. Let the camera do the auto setting.

This camera is a compact digital camera, if you need advance features to take more complex and better pictures, you may consider a DSLR when you can affort.

cheers

Thanks for the reply. One more question, how do i take a portrait shot with a dim background? For example, I am the subject with the esplanade as the background. Do u think my digicam can perfectly capture both the subject and the background? I tried a couple of times with flash. Each time i use the flash, the "dim background" disappear and only manage to capture the subject.

hmmm i'd shoot this twice.
the first one is on the explanade alone. of cos please use the tripod with the same framing and all.
then expose the esplanade correctly to get it bright enough. then the second shot with your friend in it. expose for your friend. then ps it together

Alternatively take a reading for an in between exposure btw the esplanade and ur subject.

just my 2 cents worth

zhang3feng said:
sell ur camera off n buy a DSLR with ISO up to 1600 ;)

If i had the $$, why wouldn't i? :bsmilie:

I'm planning to sell off this camera and buy a canon a620 to explore deeper. No $$ for the time being. :D

Can u quote me some good photography websites to read up? :sweat: There's a lot for me to learn from u guys here. thanks!

SaviourSix said:
Thanks for the reply. One more question, how do i take a portrait shot with a dim background? For example, I am the subject with the esplanade as the background. Do u think my digicam can perfectly capture both the subject and the background? I tried a couple of times with flash. Each time i use the flash, the "dim background" disappear and only manage to capture the subject.

if u can adjust ur shutter speed, u can try setting it long enough to get a proper exposure with flash on.
that way, the flash can light up ur friend and the long exposure will expose the background properly.

set the camera on tripod, set to M mode, set your shutter speed abt 2-3sec (depends on light condition) then ensure flash it on (maybe rear sync)

this is what is used, but I dunno your camera can do all these setting or not, you got to read your manual. I believe if you really spend your time to read it, most of your doubt might be able to clarified. cheers

This forum has enough expert to advise you on any issue pertaining to photogrpahy. Just post your questions and wait for the answers Bro. As far as I am concern, I find this forum is enough to provide me with sufficent information.

singdude said:
This forum has enough expert to advise you on any issue pertaining to photogrpahy. Just post your questions and wait for the answers Bro. As far as I am concern, I find this forum is enough to provide me with sufficent information.

Ironically a lot of users post mundane questions and expect to be spoon-fed answers which are readily available on the web. Kinda irritating at times...

Its ok if they're asking for opinions on stuff or tips pertaining to the local context which aren't readily available, or even questions on their specific problems. But to ask people to explain the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed is too much. Or worse, even stuff like "How to use flash?"

Hope that users can learn, but at the same time be responsible and not abuse others' goodwill and patience.

N.B. Comments made in general, and not directed at anyone. And not referrring to you SaviourSix!

I beg to differ. As far as i'm concerned, i did read up on articles on the internet before laying my fingers on the keyboard to post questions which i'm still unsure of. Personally, i would not like to trouble ppl for answers. But in situations whereby i'm still can't understand something in particular, i have to ask in order to learn. If we always assume we can understand certain stuff through reading articles on our own, why is there a need to have a forum? It's pretty hard to define what is a "sensible" question to post in forum, as each and everyone of us have different views and perpectives towards a "sensible" question. I appreciate and respect those who are willing to lend a helping hand to those who are willing to learn here, though i agree users like me will tend to ask "ridiculous" question at times.

These are just my views. Certainly not pointing fingers to anyone, especially solarii. =)

Seriously brother, ditch your cam and get a dslr soon. The more you wait, the more you will miss. ;)

SaviourSix said:
I beg to differ. As far as i'm concerned, i did read up on articles on the internet before laying my fingers on the keyboard to post questions which i'm still unsure of. Personally, i would not like to trouble ppl for answers. But in situations whereby i'm still can't understand something in particular, i have to ask in order to learn. If we always assume we can understand certain stuff through reading articles on our own, why is there a need to have a forum? It's pretty hard to define what is a "sensible" question to post in forum, as each and everyone of us have different views and perpectives towards a "sensible" question. I appreciate and respect those who are willing to lend a helping hand to those who are willing to learn here, though i agree users like me will tend to ask "ridiculous" question at times.

These are just my views. Certainly not pointing fingers to anyone, especially solarii. =)

As the common saying goes, 'there's no such thing as a stupid question'. There are only questions that are easy to answer, and others that are a little more challenging and it takes hunting to get the answers down.

Frankly, I think there is more than enough manpower in here to answer plenty of questions. Simple ones are great. They can be answered in a line or two. I'm sure that there are some questions encountered here that members can answer even with their eyes closed.

Sometimes, it is good to be able to pose any questions to a forum because members can act as virtual technicians to solve actual problems that might be dogging a new user. I understand that for a very new photographer, some online sources of information can be a little wordy.

hi there
for the iso setting for p&s camera,u cant really do much,(100-400) i know there is some newer model with 100-1600 iso, but for indoor shooting,small camera alway suffer from these problem.Even if u get the exposure right,u will find it not so sharp & noisy .The advantage of using DSLR for indoor shoot:
a) Can use speed len for indoor eg:1.8f
b) can use external flash with high sys speed
c) Can push the iso to 1600 or 3200
d) Can choose len that have image stabilizer

1) not all DSLRs can choose up to ISO 3200.
2) for indoor, there is no point using HS flash, even with fast lens

Try a fuji f10/11 if you want a compact with ISO 1600 :)

+evenstar said:
1) not all DSLRs can choose up to ISO 3200.
2) for indoor, there is no point using HS flash, even with fast lens

Try a fuji f10/11 if you want a compact with ISO 1600 :)
HS flash??
samples of the fuji@iso1600 turn out very good. its almost comparable to iso1600 on my d70s

Chris Lim said:
hmmm i'd shoot this twice.
the first one is on the explanade alone. of cos please use the tripod with the same framing and all.
then expose the esplanade correctly to get it bright enough. then the second shot with your friend in it. expose for your friend. then ps it together

Alternatively take a reading for an in between exposure btw the esplanade and ur subject.

just my 2 cents worth

how u PS them together ?? mind sharing the techniques

SaviourSix said:

use slow-synchro flash mode

Status
Not open for further replies.