ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatanic

Aug 9, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here and I've been self learning photography myself and have been dependent on resources on the net to improve my photography knowledge. I would like to know what is the relation between ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. I've been reading much on them on the net but I just couldn't get the relation between them. Can any one help me? If possible explain to me in layman's term as I'm still new may not understand the difficult word.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here and I've been self learning photography myself and have been dependent on resources on the net to improve my photography knowledge. I would like to know what is the relation between ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. I've been reading much on them on the net but I just couldn't get the relation between them. Can any one help me? If possible explain to me in layman's term as I'm still new may not understand the difficult word.

Thanks

ive been self learning too.. still self learning.. and what ive learned is that the best resources u can find are in the library. serious. i borrowed a couple of books on photography in libraries.. some are newbie-friendly with lots of pics and examples.

try it.. :)

go and pick up the book "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. can check out Riceball books over @ Adelphi or their new branch at Funan, ground floor.

extracted from http://web.telia.com/~u54105795/intro-to-photography.html

Exposing film to light can be compared to filling a bucket of with water from a tap. You can open the tap wide and fill the bucket quickly, or open it only a little and let the water trickle slowly. The two variables are how much you open the tap and how long you leave it on. The two exposure controls on the camera work much the same way. Like the valve on the tap, the aperture controls the size of the opening in the lens that admits the light. The shutter speed determines the length of time that the shutter will stay open to let the light pass through.

my addition :

1) bucket capacity = iso (bigger capacity is lower iso, smaller capacity is higher iso)
2) hole in the tap = aperture (controls the water flow rate, assuming water supply pressure remains constant)
3) time taken to fill the bucket = shutter speed.

extracted from http://web.telia.com/~u54105795/intro-to-photography.html

Exposing film to light can be compared to filling a bucket of with water from a tap. You can open the tap wide and fill the bucket quickly, or open it only a little and let the water trickle slowly. The two variables are how much you open the tap and how long you leave it on. The two exposure controls on the camera work much the same way. Like the valve on the tap, the aperture controls the size of the opening in the lens that admits the light. The shutter speed determines the length of time that the shutter will stay open to let the light pass through.

my addition :

1) bucket capacity = iso (bigger capacity is lower iso, smaller capacity is higher iso)
2) hole in the tap = aperture (controls the water flow rate, assuming water supply pressure remains constant)
3) time taken to fill the bucket = shutter speed.

Great explanation , very easy to understand,

go and pick up the book "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. can check out Riceball books over @ Adelphi or their new branch at Funan, ground floor.

Totally agree! Go get this book. Everything is about ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed and their relationship. Wonderful book. :)

:thumbsup: very good book, easy to understand. Must read for all who are starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.