iso 800 flim and tips on shooting in theatre environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZeusS said:
It takes practise to shoot hand-held at low shutter speed;)

got my monopod for the impossible handheld conditions...

mervlam said:
it's good to use flash for fill-in situations (meaning flash is not use as main light. instead it's used for filling-in the shadows). dont be afraid to use flash.. but use it sparingly.. dont machine gun your flash

mervlam said:
anyway, if the subject is under spotlight.. then you dont need to use flash.

i do know how to shoot without flash anyway :)

Hi,

I'm confused. =(

Cheers!

mervlam said:
got my monopod for the impossible handheld conditions...

Use faster lenses or try shooting at higher ISOs. If possible, you can also try the VR lenses for Nikon or the equivalent for Canon. And of cos practise your hand hold. But like showtime mentioned, if the concert is a high energy with a lot of movement, you will still capture motion blur because of the subject.

In that case the only solution is to use fast lenses.

Well, then, if you don't have audience to cotend with, and no fast lens, you'll still be able to get away with a slow lens with no flash.

http://www.chaoticland.com/gallery/album05/0937_32

Press 800 (no pushing), using a f/4-5.6 70-300mm lens. Supported using camera bag (forgot to bring a tripod). The above shot was probably taken at 100+ mm so it should be at f/4.5.

Taken at the UCC Theatre, where the lighting is pretty bad.

The trick is to (spot) meter a slightly shadowy area (e.g. at her neck) and then, if you can afford, bracket EV+/-1. If you have no time just set to Av mode, set to largest aperture.

Capture the moment when there's not much movement. Ensures a still picture even at 1/30s--if the handshake doesn't ruin the shot.

If you really want to use flash, set to fire at 2nd curtain sync for a more natural sense of movement.

hi... I took these photos at Victoria Theatre on 31/1/04 for AJC Dance Alumni .

Didn't want flash, (distraction to performers, and stage lighting will be gone otherwise) no fast lens, so I used Fuji Superia ISO 1600 film. Managed to maintain 1/60s for most shots under stage lighting... Just my 2 cents worth... :)

zodmn, unless you have access to f1.4 lenses I would suggest that you use Superia 1600. Under such circumstances, one can never expect when the lighting will be too dim for a proper shot and you need all the speed u can get.

Superia 1600 if exposed properly(with regard to Ah Pao's metering tips) will not have noticeable grain in 4R prints.

For example, the first 2 images in this link were shot with Superia 1600:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=562156#post562156

As for supports like monopods, use them only if you are accustomed to using them. Unless you have prior experience with a monopod with proper bracing technique, you will not gain much advantage with it.

Jia Wang: Do you happen to be from She Ying Dui?

Jia Wang said:
Hmm... She Ying Dui? Of? I'm purely an amateur photographer... neither here nor there. :)

Noticed your recommendation of Shalom Colour Lab, that's usually where the Zaobao photographers frequent.;)

my equipment will be
canon 500n
the default 28-80mm lens
sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 lens
will be borrowing a 420 ez flash from mervlam
have a tripod, but that might let the video use it

at first thought buy the press 800 flim. but now like seems 800 now enuff
which 1600 flim u guys recommend? need it to be available at cathay photo
and need to buy a uv filter too. replace the old one which like end of life laioz
any recommendations? not too ex

Fuji Superia 1600(available at Cathay) is the only real choice as Konica Centuria Super 1600 can hardly be found in any shop.

With your f4-5.6 lenses, using slower films with flash will result in loss of ambience. You have to evaluate if that is important to you.

most likely i will be using the 28-80mm lens
cos maybe i will go on stage and take directly in front of the actors
the lens can go down to 3.5 at wide angle end
how much will the fuji superia 1600 cost?

About $7 if I remember correctly.

What?? A discussion about stage photography without me participating??? :p

Well, it seem that everything I want to say has already been said. Just want to make some noise and add to my post count.

i will be shooting on full dress rehearsal, so no audience will be there
i have access to everywhere, including backstage. and whether flash is allowed, i'm the one calling the shots

any new updated tips?

Just be more creative with your scenes. Go for angles that are otherwise inaccesible.
Previous discussion which may be useful:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=57035
My previous recommendations still stand, except that I'm now convinced of the superiority of 1600 over pushed 800.

The reason why almost all of us advise against using flash is not out of ego or vainty...but using flash really will really ruin the mood and ambience of the stage lighting.

Of course, you call the shots whether or not to use flash in your shots, but I'm sure you don't want your performers to have the "deer in the headlights" look with everything else in the dark. You don't have anything to bounce the flash off so you'll going to have hard shadows also.

Behind-the-scene pics, go ahead and use your flash.

i get what you mean
i'm just trying to say that the factor "flash might not be allowed" is out of the equation
1600iso flim and a 28 - 80mm 3.5 - 5.6 lens can do the job?

OT: Fellow hostelites hor...you in NTU, me in NUS...don't sleep in the wee hours of the morning but mucking around in ClubSNAP instead...tsk tsk... :nono: :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

haha, trying to read my lecture notes at the same time.
dun seem to be getting anything in at all

just a bit excited abt the coming photography day tt's all
best thing is flim is free. cos can claim. haha
own time own target
fire at will!
haha

Prismatic said:
What?? A discussion about stage photography without me participating??? :p

Well, it seem that everything I want to say has already been said. Just want to make some noise and add to my post count.

joof, dont bo liaoz :D

Status
Not open for further replies.