ISO 1600 image that looks like ISO 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

canturn

Sep 29, 2002
East, SG
www.lyricalmoments.com
Some folks were asking me about the photo I took during Chingay, how the noise level is so low for a ISO 1600 picture. Well, first of all, ISO 1600 is indeed pretty noisy...

here's a zoom of the previous image I posted here

Original image, shot taken at ISO 1600, USM applied

12956588.jpg

Using Neat Image software, here's the result:

12956587.jpg

USM was applied after the image has been filtered using Neat Image.

Comments from the floor? ;)

PS: Will be testing out ISO 3200 very soon, probably at during an indoor sports event.

just curious, hows the print quality be like?

Originally posted by StreetShooter
And it's FREE.

But reduce the default settings a bit, or all your pictures will end up with a slightly plastic look.
no wonder... :cry: i always used default setting and got those plastic look...

Hi

maybe my perceptions have changed since i use film more extensively......but........

of the 2 samples canturn posted, i prefer the first one. it looks more real to me. feels gritty.

the local contrast of the second sample is very high, yet the details look very soft - very hard to describe but it just doesn't look right..... look at her head gear.........

now i realise. last time when i was using Fred Miranda's noise reduction actions, i get the same effect (albeit not so pronounced).

Originally posted by canturn
Comments from the floor? ;)

Hate to say this but the second image looks very overdone. The girls skin has an airbrushed quality to it that reminds me of some of the work done in the 50s when airbrushing first came to prominence.

the head gear looks like it has been "pasted" on top of the gal in the 2nd image.

And i agree wif the plastic feel of the photo after being run through NeatImage. Tht's one of the reasons, i rarely use it anymore.... maybe it;s just my lousy skills in Neatimage... :D

Neat can be used to very good effect. You need to know what you're doing when defining profiles, and customising them for each shot. And then further tempering the result in Photoshop selectively.

Interesting :)

The 2nd pic was done using maximum setting on Neat Image.

When used moderately, result is more satisfactory, comparatively speaking.

E.g. 55% noise reduction applied gets u something like this

13005308.jpg

as compared to the 2nd pic

12956587.jpg

As Jed said, u can temper it further with PS7. I usually put it a Neat Imaged layer with 60% transparency and airbrush

werid.... i get serious artifacts on human skin when i use neat image

but yours all siew siew one

Status
Not open for further replies.