Island Hopping in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
hello all

Has anyone gone to any of the other islands apart from sentosa, ubin or tekong? thinking of going to kusu, saint john's, sister's islands, pulau hantu (not in the same day of course) but not too sure what to expect there of course (apart from what i read in wikipedia)

anyone knows how i can get there as well? now that clifford pier is gone (i'm under the impression that's the launching point for getting to the islands) and how do i get back? and how much it will cost me and what i can expect at these islands

thanks!

There's regular ferry that goes to a few of these islands. Kusu, sure have ferry going a few times a day. St John & Sister Island, maybe less. Can try the Sentosa Development Corp website. Last time, they were incharge of the southern islands.

get a kayak cert, rent a kayak and you can get onto any of the less known islands.

got cert already..1 star only though....and my PA seasports club membership expired already... (not to mention my fitness is not there anymore :cry: )

anyway, was thinking of going pulau hantu first....just checked out some websites, but could someone who's already been tell me what i can expect there? assuming i bring a group of people there (i want to take photos, so it's not a problem for me...but what can the others do if they aren't into photography?)

agentmonkey said:
got cert already..1 star only though....and my PA seasports club membership expired already... (not to mention my fitness is not there anymore :cry: )

anyway, was thinking of going pulau hantu first....just checked out some websites, but could someone who's already been tell me what i can expect there? assuming i bring a group of people there (i want to take photos, so it's not a problem for me...but what can the others do if they aren't into photography?)

hey, if u r organizing a trip, tell me ok! :)

yanyewkay said:
get a kayak cert, rent a kayak and you can get onto any of the less known islands.

Cannot just go... you need to tell the police if you are camping overnight as well as inform the Coast Guard, as you will be crossing international shipping lanes. And if you are really kayaking, please ensure that you have a safety boat following behind, especially if you have weak kayakers amongst you. Even for seasoned kayakists the possibility of capsizing is always there and its safer to have a safety boat around in case the capsizee panics. Please don't get lost also...

I've kayaked to Sister Island and Pulau Hantu before; both time we hired a bumboat to act as our safety boat... think we booked the uncle for about half a day, which makes it one full day bothway. Paid about $300-400 I think (not too sure about the price now though).

Both the island have basic toilet facilities, but the water is not potable, so you will need to bring along your own water (which we did in jerry cans). There are basic sheds on both islands where you can sleep. Beaches are nice and clean, but both islands are really small, so most of your activities would be on the beach.

Beware of the Macaques on Sister's though. They can be mischevious and even downright nasty. They'll steal your bags if you're not careful. They even open a Pelican box I brought once. Fortunately, I was prepared for that eventuality and left only unimportant stuff inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.