Is YongNuo YN24 EX Macro Flash compatible with Canon EOS 80D

worker bee

Feb 25, 2005
Hello,
Does anybody out there have any issues with the YongNuo YN24EX Macro Flash when paired with the Canon EOS 80D?
I recently bought the above flash, wanting to take up some macro and close-up photography.
The unit was not brand new, but was indeed very lightly used, if at all, the plastic covers were still intact.
A quick check, without being mounted on my camera showed that it was functioning and display was OK.
However, back home, mounted on the 80D, it does not function as intended, both in ETTL and Manual modes.
In ETTL, there is no second flash after the first.
It also seems to fire at full power all the time.

I wonder, if the YN24EX is compatible with the EOS 80D as the flash may have been designed before the 80D?

Or did I buy a dud?

The flash looks well designed and versatile, I would like to be able to use it if someone can help me figure out what is the problem with it.

YN24EX 02.jpg
YN24EX 03.jpg

Based on specification online, the flash is designed for Canon and works with earlier cameras (5D3, 7D2). So I would think that 80D is not an issue.
If it always fires full power, then I would suspect that the hot shoe has no proper contact. I had the same effect with a 430EX on 50D: flash always fired full power until l noticed that the flash was not properly inserted into the hot shoe. Check this, clean your flash contacts.
Even if TTL doe snot work, manual flash will always work when you set it to Manual and enter the parameters on the flash.

Thanks Octarine, for the tip on checking the contacts, will recheck mine.
I was rather concern about the reverse-engineering stuff, maybe it is only compatible with DIGIC versions earlier than the 80D.
Even in Manual Mode, both tubes seem to fire regardless of the settings, that is why I suspect it may be for cameras before the 80D.
Or unless I got a faulty unit, which seems likely.

I hope someone can report on their experience with the YN24EX and 80D combination; or some newer cameras with DIGIC6+ or DIGIC7 onwards .

I do have the YongNuo 600EX RT and it works rather well.

I only had two cases where an older flash did not work with newer camera. It was Metz 52 and Metz 48 on EOS M5. But they worked well on EOS 77D. It was something in the mirror-less types that did not work well. Luckily, Metz offers firmware upgrades (although a bit tricky with the funky driver they use), and now it's all good with both flashes on M5. That gives me some hope that your case should work with 80D.

Looks like the newer Metz flashes have a way to "future-proof" themselves by way of firmware upgrades, that is good engineering.
I am not aware if there are any provision for firmware upgrades for the YongNuo YN24EX.