is what minisiter said in tv interview true

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
just saw in channel 8 interview, one minister said a workers salary double (quoted from $500 double to 1k)because through factory automation, 3 workers job are now done by 1 worker.

Whats you view, sure or not?

don't know about factory workers, but i do know some countries's ministers r hold multiple portfolio n their salarIES r some 3-5X of US PRESIDENT!!!! ;)

denniskee said:
just saw in channel 8 interview, one minister said a workers salary double (quoted from $500 double to 1k)because through factory automation, 3 workers job are now done by 1 worker.

Could you quote him a little more precisely please and what exactly are you asking? :dunno:

judeseah said:
don't know about factory workers, but i do know some countries's ministers r hold multiple portfolio n their salarIES r some 3-5X of US PRESIDENT!!!! ;)

Ya, but they don't have any fat interns with blue dresses so I suppose the extra half million is to make up for that.

Terence said:
Ya, but they don't have any fat interns with blue dresses so I suppose the extra half million is to make up for that.
That's what you think!

Terence said:

and they dun smoke cigars in public as well.

denniskee said:

Let me do some calculation...

Last time:
$500 x 3 workers == $1500 total

Now:
$1000 x 1 worker == $1000 total

YAY!!!
We got 2 less workers!!!

AReality said:

Last time:

Now:

YAY!!!
We got 2 less workers!!!

You fail to mention that:

$1000 x 1 worker(but 3x work)===$1000 total

Hommie said:
You fail to mention that:

$1000 x 1 worker(but 3x work)===$1000 total

precisely, Work Productivity, Efficiency and etc etc... all increased... so triple the work, double the pay = BO HUA.... tats all..

unless triple the work, triple the pay.. den its a totally different story.. ;)

increase in jobless rate??? :dunno:

denniskee said:

Ask the minister if 3 workers job are now done by 1 worker, what do the other 3 workers do now?

They bought a DSLR and a nice camera bag and became a professional wedding photographers?

What if work of three ministers is done by one? Automation in the government.....much work is so predictable there....can easily be automated!

a typical example of the chui gong lam pah song (sorry for being vulgar...)

sometimes they just talk like trigger happy... dun understand how the production move... if we compare ourselves with the China production... seriously we are going nowhere with our production system, cos when we use automation & higher paided workers, we increase our cost of production. then those china factories use cheap labour, produce more & cheaper products to sell back to us, hence forcing us to go down on the number of ppl to operate... hence multi-tasking... if we say sg is only going to produce high end stuff... den if China also can produce high end stuff... sg eat **** liao lor... and there is still quite alot of lower end industries in sg. Those industries also help to support those high end industries, because even no matter how sophisticated your product may be, you still need other fundamental products to support production, and those small industries are the support... if for eg, u need just 1 screw.. den all the little screw companies die off, den u need it for your production, how? wait for another 2 weeks for stock to come in from other country? (just an example... i know screw companies not that bad, and with a lathe we can make own screws...)

just felt that they should not see numbers as a whole, they should start seeing from bottom... there is still alot of labour intensive jobs... and they pay quite low pay... if that company increase pay, think they will start to sell more expensive and i think everybody is better off buying from other country... and when that company dies off a natural death... nobody is going to remember... but when those companies urgently need the product... thats when memory start coming in... (that said... no one can see things holistic... just my 1/2 cents)

oh ya.. adding abit of things... have anybody ever wondered what will happen to the disabled? Althou they hold a lower pay, and with subsidies, etc... if we talk about the 3x = 1x, we are not mentioning them rite... lets say if the competition gets tough... the employer of such hire those unemployed at lower pay, what will happen to them?

(btw u guys believe in the unemployed numbers?)

which minister? in parliament yesterday?

AReality said:

Last time:

Now:

YAY!!!
We got 2 less workers!!!

Overall jobless people = Total + 2 retrenced workers

From an employer's point of view that's good news, from the employee's point of view that's bad news. Depends on where you stand. If im not the boss, the unemployed could been you or me. =D

Pro-New said:
If I rememebr correctly, the minister is referring to reorganising cleaners job. He said, in the old days, when 3 workers are need at $500, after restructuring the job, 1 worker can do 3 workers job, and the worker will get $1500.

If only all employer thinks like him! Long ago, I was complaining about my job scope does not give me room to progress but heavy work load, the boss said there is another portfolio he wants me to take on as well, i.e double portfolio, WITHOUT any pay increase. And at that time, my pay was even lower then the new portfolio's starting pay! I told him to do it himself and resign.

are you referring to lim swee say, deputy Ntuc chief?

U are being exploited w/o u knowing.....

denniskee said:

Hey yeah, maybe it's time to restruct the ministers' jobs as well. Getting one minister to do the job of 3 and retrench other two. Pay that guy x2 then... :bsmilie: Fair deal?

tokrot said:
Hey yeah, maybe it's time to restruct the ministers' jobs as well. Getting one minister to do the job of 3 and retrench other two. Pay that guy x2 then... :bsmilie: Fair deal?
Didn't you know? Our minister's pay is pegged to the industry creame de la cream(the top crop), to attract more bright people to the Civil service sector and to deter corruption(using high pay).

Now why u know photographers carry more than 1 cam? :)
Coz they're paid 2x the amount, and took 2x people's job away.

Status
Not open for further replies.