Is VR feature useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niccon

Mar 9, 2004
Can anyone advise on how effective is VR against camera shake? Especially for 70-200mm lens and using it in normal range & at 280, 400mm with a 1.4X, 2X TC respectively.

Is there any restriction or inconvenience when taking picture with VR feature?

Hear about VR draining battery power, it that true? Any other drawbacks about VR?

Thanks for sharing.

Yes... it will help a lot when shooting under dim lighting and or when you're running/moving and you need to take a shot almost immediately after braking down.

There's no restriction whilst using the VR function left on, as with IS, VR will draw power when it's in action to prevent camera shake.

The feature will be damn useful if you are shooting under low light condition and required to handheld 1 sec, it makes a big difference... :thumbsup:

That would depend on how a serious photographer u are and what are u going to use it for.

I "graduated" from the 70-300mmG to the 80-200mm/f2.8D few weeks back and find that our NS rifle shooting skill acquired can be very beneficial - especially moving target. My point is that without VR at 200mm, can still shoot but need to practice to get the technique right. Mind u, the later lens is much heavier than the G lens. Therefore, proper grip, breathing technique is important, hee hee.

Of course, VR is good. Like having a rifle with laser guidance system. But hobbyist like me, the price of a VR lens is just beyond my means.

Money have, everything can.

Niccon said:
Can anyone advise on how effective is VR against camera shake? Especially for 70-200mm lens and using it in normal range & at 280, 400mm with a 1.4X, 2X TC respectively.

Is there any restriction or inconvenience when taking picture with VR feature?

Hear about VR draining battery power, it that true? Any other drawbacks about VR?

Thanks for sharing.
Effective? Around 3 f-stop advantage. Restriction? Only a slight delay while VR is locking on to shutter release

VR draining? Of course. You need power to move the compensation mechanism right? How much? By about 10-20% less shots if you leave your VR on normal all the time 20-30% less if you use active.

Drawback? Bloody expensive :D

Watcher said:
Effective? Around 3 f-stop advantage. Restriction? Only a slight delay while VR is locking on to shutter release

VR draining? Of course. You need power to move the compensation mechanism right? How much? By about 10-20% less shots if you leave your VR on normal all the time 20-30% less if you use active.

Drawback? Bloody expensive :D
and although u virtually dont move, your target is still moving. so motion blur... zzzzz.

majere2sg said:
Must always remember to turn it off when you are using a tripod..

Is very good.. and all that it is up to be..

DSC_6737(s).JPG

70-200 @ 200mm Handheld ISO200 1/125 f2.8

Hmm.. I actually just leave my VR on active.. and never have turned off the VR.. even when it is mounted on a tripod.. and still the images are sharp.. eventhough the manual does mention it..

DSC_8343s.jpg

70-200 @ 200mm ISO400 1/30 @f2.8

You be the judge..

But heck.. i think it more of battery saving step then a VR problem.

Thanks everyone for the info. I guess it is a good buy/bye (good buy for a good lens & good bye to my money in the bank).

At 3K it is steep for me. Most properly getting a 2nd hand unit at a later date on eBay or here. Found someone selling for about 2.1K in eBay recently.

majere2sg said:
Its the same regardless of Nikon or whatever, as long they are using similar technology..
Got my info abt it here (under lens details paragraph)..
http://www.naturephotographers.net/bs0801-1.pdf

Well lets put it this way.. I have used it int he filed.. and I have not turned it off when using a tripod.. my pictures are just as sharp.. didnt encounter any problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.