Is tripod too long to handcarry into airplanes?

Please search. This has been discussed many times before. Also, dimensions for handcarry limits are easy to find all over the web. Then you have your answer already as to "too long".

Last edited:
I'll be flying to tokyo on cathay pacific airlines. just wondering if a tripod in a tripod bag would be too large for travelling. Since i just bought my tripod i wouldn't want to throw it with my baggage. my tripod is: Vanguard – Photo-Video - Tripods, Camera Bags, Cases, Optics, Binoculars

Anyone who has traveled with a tripod before? ><

sometimes can sometimes they will ask you check in.

holyxiaoxin said:
Since i just bought my tripod i wouldn't want to throw it with my baggage.

Anyone who has traveled with a tripod before? ><

Err... Why won't you want to check it in? That puzzles me.

Anyway, various agencies can still reject your tripod for hand carry purposes as it may be used as a weapon. I highly advise you to check in your tripod.

Case to case basis i guess. I have tried bringing it on but got rejected. Some of my friends say it's okay as they have done it.
For me, i think it's a safer bet to check in.
Just put it in the tripod bag, and together inside/with your luggage. Get a padded tripod bag and it should be fine.
Otherwise, just check in the tripod alone in a padded tripod bag and get them to label it as "Fragile". I've done it many times, my tripod is still intact :)

takafan said:
Case to case basis i guess. I have tried bringing it on but got rejected. Some of my friends say it's okay as they have done it.
For me, i think it's a safer bet to check in.
Just put it in the tripod bag, and together inside/with your luggage. Get a padded tripod bag and it should be fine.
Otherwise, just check in the tripod alone in a padded tripod bag and get them to label it as "Fragile". I've done it many times, my tripod is still intact :)

Yup. It is fairly subjective, as it is based on the judgement of the various staff and agencies in the airport.

A tripod is meant to be hardy - checking it in is definitely not a problem.

I won't check in a naked tripod, as while it may withstand the throwing, it may very well end up being pinned under a whole stack of heavy luggage and the pressure may break or warp it. I'm not sure how these things work but I cannot think of any other reason how SQ could have broken this guy's tripod: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/kopitiam/343756-see-sq-did-my-tripod.html

I only hand-carry a tripod when I fly budget and without check-in luggage. Given that a lot of the budget airlines have become very, very, very anal about cabin luggage weight when people do not get any check-in allowance (I had to argue with the staff positioned at the entrance to departure area that this was totally new and the attitude had been lax before), I would probably get some check-in allowance in future to avoid potential problems. It is next to impossible to limit the amount of things carried overseas to be within 7 kg with a 2.7 kg tripod/ball-head combination and camera stuff + barang barang.

Just put your tripod INTO the luggage. I've seen people claiming that the tripod still got broken when doing so, but seriously, unless you're using one of those plasticky free tripods (which isn't good for you or your camera in the long run since those things are trash), that shouldn't happen.

I think it depends on the airport of different countries... I can carry my tripod on board the plane from Singapore airport... But the security in Taiwan airport had to have me check in my tripod...

TS, your tripod seems compact enough to be hand carried on board. I've hand carried mine a few times without any problems. However, best to check the specific airline's hand baggage policy.

Still, be mentally prepared to have to check it in, if sway sway the ground staff insists even if the policy indicates otherwise. Like what a previous CSer mentioned, just get the staff to slap on a 'fragile' sticker n it should survive the trip easily especially since you have a tripod case.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the airport of different countries... I can carry my tripod on board the plane from Singapore airport... But the security in Taiwan airport had to have me check in my tripod...

Yeah, same experience here.
Hand problems flying from Taiwan, but no probs in other places.

Maybe for Chinese, any 'stick' can become a weapon for KungFu expert :D

So I think it's more of the security protocols of each country's airports than the airline...
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Ah, I think I remembered reading somewhere here that Taiwan airport (specifically Taipei at least) doesn't allow tripods on hand-carry. :)

Depends on staff mood also. As mentioned earlier, it's hard to argue against allegation that a tripod can be used as a weapon and saying that you've done it before doesn't work. I mean, if you managed to carry up a kitchen knife once doesn't mean you're entitled to do so again and again after that. :bsmilie: So why take the risk?

but my tripod is pretty long. i'm afraid that it can't fit into my luggage.

Get yourself a tripod bag. Request that the tripod is a fragile item and the staff will know what to do.

Your tripod is only 62cm folded. Have you tried putting it in your luggage, diagonally? or removing the head?

Depends on staff mood also. As mentioned earlier, it's hard to argue against allegation that a tripod can be used as a weapon and saying that you've done it before doesn't work. I mean, if you managed to carry up a kitchen knife once doesn't mean you're entitled to do so again and again after that. :bsmilie: So why take the risk?

Ya, no need to argue... Can just ask the counter staffs before checking in luggage... Just stuff the tripod into the check in luggage and paste the "fragile" sticker if they say can't carry on board...

so which mean you have not tried yet?

well, you can;
- test to see will it fit in your luggage
- get a shorter tripod to fit into your luggage
- get a larger luggage able to fit your tripod
- get a padded tripod case to protect your tripod when check in as a luggage
- try your luck at all the airports to hand carry your tripod

see which option is most sensible, convenient and economy to you.

Yup, I played it safe too. Checked in my tripod when coming back from Taiwan.

In fact nowadays I just stuff my tripod in my luggage and check them in. Request for fragile sticker lor and paste it left right centre on the luggage.