Is tripod allowed to be hand carried in the airplane?

Jan 30, 2014
Singapore
I am travelling soon, I want to take my tripod with me, but I'm travelling without check-in baggage. Thanks

Jan 5, 2010
Do a search, there's already a discussion, which I am, coincidentally, also looking up at it as well.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294592

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896262

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291000&page=2

Based on this and also other sites, it is all quite clear that it is subjective to the staff at the point of embarkation, no airlines distinctly said tripods can or cannot be hand carried onboard, large or small. For airlines security, most airlines ban metal poles or bars, meaning aluminium tripods are also one of them, sharpen end or not. Carbon Fibers? It is still subjective on the respective staff, so no point arguing at the boarding point.

In short, just check it in!:bsmilie:

Kaikeong

Feb 12, 2013
a
best to chk in , i know taipei cannot

Hi!

I think if you carry a huge tripod its better to check in. If you are just carrying a monopod I think can hand carry in.

kaikeong

DSolZ

Mar 6, 2010
Hand carry my tripod most of the time... No issue in Asia as well as europe

caroland

Mar 31, 2008
pariS
Hand carry my tripod most of the time... No issue in Asia as well as europe
Yup, agreed, just attached to your camera bag or tripod bag, no issue at all.

Mine is sirui T-025X, maybe its small hence never being stopped before.

Aug 28, 2006
I have had no problems hand carrying my tripod to and fro europe and asia. I only had a problem once coming back from Adelaide. They insisted I check it in.

Good luck

yogifoo

Mar 25, 2006
No problems until I got asked to take it out of my bag in Taipei. I was in transit from Japan and japan side I had no problems. Gave me unnecessary stress. Had to wait for another staff to take the tripod from me and meet me back at aircraft side to pass it to me. Cause me to be late for boarding.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
No problems until I got asked to take it out of my bag in Taipei. I was in transit from Japan and japan side I had no problems. Gave me unnecessary stress. Had to wait for another staff to take the tripod from me and meet me back at aircraft side to pass it to me. Cause me to be late for boarding.
Taipei have very strict rules on tripod. Not allowed as hand carry.

Apr 9, 2012
SG
Yes Taiwan is damn super strict. I kenna travel tripod 31cm(their limit is 30cm)they also reject. Another time those kiddy scissors used to cut baby food, blunt tip, blade length maybe 2" also kenna reject and throw away. Faint.

kwoko

Oct 22, 2014
singapore
agree with those traveling from Taiwan. they are strict on their hand carry item especially metal items. i once bought a gopro selfie stick as carry on and got turned back

ion the end, my lugggage was earlier checked in hence i've to ask for a small box at 150 TWD.

davidc34

Apr 14, 2014
Singapore
Depends on airline and destination, make sure you can pack it into your hold baggage at checkin. I've never been refused but only tried a couple of times.

Budget airlines are usually MUCH more restrictive.

Ah Keong

Dec 3, 2014
North
I went Taiwan last year flying Jetstar and handcarrying the BeFree tripod. Lucky!

Apr 9, 2012
SG
Uhm.. Was flying biz class. Non negotiable. Exceed 30cm means keep. My travel tripod was 31/32cm. That fella really use tape and measure. Knn. Lol.

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
I recently went to hk with 2 tripods and tripod head. In they go into my luggage bag. Still under 20kg total, heh heh! So, next time take sq, tripod still ok to check in as each bag is allowed to 30 kg.

If go further, try for those 2 x 20kg. Still got room for tripod n some stuffs which consider illegal by airport standard. That's why tripod need to be light but strong. Heh heh!

Apr 9, 2012
SG
It's not the weight. It's the dimensions. And it's not the airline, it's Taiwan. Let us know when you succeed with Taiwan with above setup. Lol

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
It's not the weight. It's the dimensions. And it's not the airline, it's Taiwan. Let us know when you succeed with Taiwan with above setup. Lol
I also check in my tripod when I in taiwan during may. I not saying I put in bag and carry in la. Alamak!

DSolZ

Mar 6, 2010
Good to know that hand carried tripod is not allowed in Taiwan. The last two trip to Taiwan I check in my tripod since I have excess luggage. Between European city I typically fly by budget, I have no problem with hand carry tripod. Been on jet star and tiger airway to some neighbour country with hand carry tripod.. No issue at all.

Top Bottom