Is this worthy of printing out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmak

Apr 16, 2004
London, UK
www.pbase.com
Hi,

I had posted these pictures in the landscape section but didn't get many replies. I was wondering are these two pictures worthy of printing out? It may sound strange but I need to know as I'm starting to compile a portfolio of my best pictures.

45593945.jpg

45593946.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Nick

nickmak said:
Hi,

I had posted these pictures in the landscape section but didn't get many replies. I was wondering are these two pictures worthy of printing out? It may sound strange but I need to know as I'm starting to compile a portfolio of my best pictures.

45593945.jpg

45593946.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Nick

#1....i love moody/stormy skies in photos, and you have an interesting tree as your focal point. however, the tree is cluttered with other trees around it which weaken its impact. the mass of rocks in the foreground is not interesting enough, perhaps a single rock would be better. a sense of depth is achieved in the photo, but it feels confining....as if the viewer's gaze is swept out of the photo with the ebbing tide.

#2....better effort with simple effective composition. horizon is nice and level and the rule of thirds is applied well. however, the photo is let down by the blown sky in the horizon and the drab colours. a b&w treatment may work better, and a grad filter may help to reduce the contrast between the sky and the beach.

Didn’t see what others has commented, sorry if I repeat what other have said before..

Find that the color a bit dull for both pictures, composition is fine.
#1 maybe show more rock would be better, #2 have a little barrel distortion.

Hope this help.

Hmm..
Nick, sad to say, the first pic doesn't have a good point of interest and it kind of draws my eyes down to the huge rocks at the bottom.
i share the same view with zaren on the 2nd pic.

i agree with most of what has been said about the images, what i will like to point out as an additional point is the need for appropriate titles for these pictures, right now there are none.

2nd pic is nice, simple & the foam looks inviting =)

first pic is too busy... look at rocks? trees? waves? sky?

I'd crop the left side and put that great big tree in the centre

example:
original.jpg

Rev said:
2nd pic is nice, simple & the foam looks inviting =)

first pic is too busy... look at rocks? trees? waves? sky?

I'd crop the left side and put that great big tree in the centre

example:
original.jpg

but still, the colors r uninviting..

my comments

For the first pic ,

the foreground is too close.

For the 2nd pic

Sky is has blown highlight. the color of the sea is not quite saturated

hi nick...pls remember to post only ONE image per week...thx! :)

Hi guys!

Thanks for your advice! This is what I need! :)

OH yea, thanks zaren for the pointer... Didn't know that!

Cheers,
Nick

i prefer the second pic, but i can't tell why there's something wrong with the first pic. i guess as someone mentioned, nothign really holds interest...

as for the second pic, i love the log, but the bright and slightly dramatic sky is fighting for attn away from the log too, so that's a little "confusing" as well.

and to answer ur question, no i wouldn't print these. (i assume u mean big prints to showcase as best and "proud of it" type shots, or as you say, your portfolio).

Not dramatic nor interesting.

No point printing something bigger then your head.

I like the first picture. Make me feel relax and wish that I am there on holiday. But the foreground rock is distracting. My liking rest on the ree, some desolation and the foamy waves splashing on the rock. I am sure the printed pic will look better - cropped.

The second pic is nice - agree with zaren point of view. I will crop out a bit of the sky and leave the log commanding more attention.

Yes I will print them out and date it if you feel something strong abt it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - no right or wrong if they speak to you.

Be like the log - firm, obstinate an passionate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.