Is this the first sign of fungus?

rijac

Mar 27, 2007
I recently bought a lens through BNS and went overseas immediately after. Just came back and took it out of the dry cab to have a closer look. Saw a tiny white spot behind the front element - when looking through the lens from the rear as i turn the focus ring, it eventually starts to look a bit like a spider web. but the spot itself, when viewed from the front is really tiny. just a dot.

is this the first sign of fungus?

thank you.

I recently bought a lens through BNS and went overseas immediately after. Just came back and took it out of the dry cab to have a closer look. Saw a tiny white spot behind the front element - when looking through the lens from the rear as i turn the focus ring, it eventually starts to look a bit like a spider web. but the spot itself, when viewed from the front is really tiny. just a dot.

thank you.

picture or everyone is going to play guessing games.

Spider web is usually fungus and not dust...

thank you.

If it really looks web-like, then very likely its fungus

thank you.

Sounds like early stage.. get it cleaned fast, and it will be ok. If you wait too long and let the fungus grow, the acidic secretions from the fungus will eat away at the coatings of the lens.

Last edited:
thanks all. looks like i need to pay nikon service a visit.

confirmed fungus spot. sent for cleaning. two weeks. don't know if can remove it completely - hopefully yes. thanks for the inputs.

Next thing to check is whether your dry cab %RH is ok. :)

Next thing to check is whether your dry cab %RH is ok. :)

reading is firmly between 45 to 50% don't see a problem. i've had my dry cab for 2 years already. checked all my other equipment too. this is the only one with an issue. fungus doesn't happen overnight either. i suspect it was an existing problem.

i have three hygrometers in my dry cab.

All three have different readings. the one that is one the dry cab door reflects the lowest humidity (i.e. dangerous!)

Eventually I bought a $70 analog hygrometer and placed it at the bottom of the cabinet - furthest away from the drier and ensure that I take readings from there.

That's what I think too, but it's better to be safe. :)

lesson learnt. i suppose thats the risk with buying used lenses. i've sent the bill to the seller! up to his conscience i suppose. but i'll have the cabby checked in any case.

i have three hygrometers in my dry cab.

All three have different readings. the one that is one the dry cab door reflects the lowest humidity (i.e. dangerous!)

Eventually I bought a $70 analog hygrometer and placed it at the bottom of the cabinet - furthest away from the drier and ensure that I take readings from there.

thanks. might be worth considering given the value of the stuff in there now!

sigh. nikon called me and told me its not fungus after all. just dust and returned the lens at no charge. but i still see this tiny white dot on one of the inner elements. now what? lol

sigh. nikon called me and told me its not fungus after all. just dust and returned the lens at no charge. but i still see this tiny white dot on one of the inner elements. now what? lol

Did you try to ask what is it? Anyway, if it don't affect the pict, should be fine...

rijac said:

Shake it like a polaroid picture!