Is this the filter to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net
I take outdoor event pictures mostly during mid-noon, 10am to 3pm...

What filter I can use so that the sky won't be so blown out?

Is there such thing as a graduated NDx filter? Where to get it?

Thanks... ;)

AReality said:
I take outdoor event pictures mostly during mid-noon, 10am to 3pm...

What filter I can use so that the sky won't be so blown out?

Is there such thing as a graduated NDx filter? Where to get it?

Thanks... ;)

Cokin has a few in different strength. 27 each i think.

Event? Not much choice really, you'll need to compromise a bit. Use a flash to even out the differences between shadows and highlights. The grad filter might not help, unless your photos have a distinct half of shadows and highlights.

u want nice sky,then shoot smaller aperture like F16 or 11 , then use the flash to light up the subject.definitely better than using *Cockin* filters..

kex said:
u want nice sky,then shoot smaller aperture like F16 or 11 , then use the flash to light up the subject.definitely better than using *Cockin* filters..

Why does shooting at small f-stops make the sky look nicer?

TME said:
Why does shooting at small f-stops make the sky look nicer?

I think what he's referring to is that u use a small aperture so as to let less light in, therefore ur skies won't be blown out(i.e. more contrast), thus there's no need to put a ND filter. While this maybe underexposing by a few stops, use the flash to light up your subject(fill-in).

Long story cut short, it's just to underexpose the image but with a flash to light up your subject.

BTW, smaller apertures give you deeper DOFs too... ;)

defn said:
I think what he's referring to is that u use a small aperture so as to let less light in, therefore ur skies won't be blown out(i.e. more contrast), thus there's no need to put a ND filter. While this maybe underexposing by a few stops, use the flash to light up your subject(fill-in).

Long story cut short, it's just to underexpose the image but with a flash to light up your subject.

BTW, smaller apertures give you deeper DOFs too... ;)

I see, I see...... wouldn't have high speed sync flash do the same trick? U can get shallow DOF from large f-stops, plus less ambient light due to high shutter speed, and high synced speed to light the subject?

kex said:
Unless u shooting ISO 25 film lor. :bsmilie:

What u mean? ISO 25 film? HSS need to use such slow film meh?

TME said:
What u mean? ISO 25 film? HSS need to use such slow film meh?

With a f2.8 lens in bright sun, you will get speeds of 1/8000 or more if the sky is to be properly exposed. This is beyond the capabilitys of most cameras, even with HSS.

Zerstorer said:
With a f2.8 lens in bright sun, you will get speeds of 1/8000 or more if the sky is to be properly exposed. This is beyond the capabilitys of most cameras, even with HSS.

I thought the Dynax 9 can have shutter speeds up to 1/12000 and the 5600/5400 can sync to that also? I know my 7 can sync at 1/8000....... is that not sufficient?

Anyway, the sky looks best only if it is very blue and plus a cir pol. But blue skies are quite rare in cloudy S'pore.......

TME said:
I thought the Dynax 9 can have shutter speeds up to 1/12000 and the 5600/5400 can sync to that also? I know my 7 can sync at 1/8000....... is that not sufficient?
Well, note that I said most cameras can't do it. Only the top tier cameras from each manufacturer have >1/4000 shutter speeds.

Also, in some cases even the 1/8000 of the Canon EOS1v/Nikon F5 may not be enough.

Also, HSS at such high shutter speeds reduces your flash range to almost nil.

Simply increasing the aperture and using flash is the best option, especially for event coverage where shallow DOF may not be warranted.

Anyway, the sky looks best only if it is very blue and plus a cir pol. But blue skies are quite rare in cloudy S'pore.......
Not really, if you are observant you will find blue skies are not that infrequent, its just a matter of having a camera available.

Zerstorer said:
Well, note that I said most cameras can't do it. Only the top tier cameras from each manufacturer have >1/4000 shutter speeds.

Also, in some cases even the 1/8000 of the Canon EOS1v/Nikon F5 may not be enough.

Also, HSS at such high shutter speeds reduces your flash range to almost nil.

Simply increasing the aperture and using flash is the best option, especially for event coverage where shallow DOF may not be warranted.

Not really, if you are observant you will find blue skies are not that infrequent, its just a matter of having a camera available.

Hmm...... well at least it has not been there (the blue sky) when I need it most..... like during convocation ceremonies, holidays....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.