Is this stifling SMRT's business initiatives?

Actually it should be no different from the chartering of buses for private hire by SBS in the past. My sense is that LTA has to appear to come down hard on SMRT otherwise certain sections of the public would be baying for blood.

Actually it should be no different from the chartering of buses for private hire by SBS in the past. My sense is that LTA has to appear to come down hard on SMRT otherwise certain sections of the public would be baying for blood.

But buses use different routes while trains use the same tracks to get from point a to point b. If the train breaks down because of the extra chartered service then commuters will be affected directly.

I guess SMRT must have gotten alot of enquiries about the chartered services before the LTA announcement :D

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...ons-allowing-use-trains-private-use-without-a

Should SMRT and SBS be allowed to sell chartered trains? SBS does it for their busses, no?

Chartering of private buses is different from chartering out public services. This is like chartering out SBS Bus No. 16 services from 1pm and 2pm and nobody else can take. The mass transit is a public amenity and as it is a public service, the public should not be denied from taking those trains.

SBS is only the operator appointed by LTA.
http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/public-transport/mrt-and-lrt-trains/train-operators.html

An analogy is CAAS lets CAG operate Changi Airport and then CAG suddenly announce only SIA can use the airport terminals on 1st April as all the terminals have been booked by SIA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changi_Airport_Group

The article is about chartering of trains. Did not mention about selling them.

Sorry for my poor English. I meant selling the service of chartered trains.

You can't compare buses with trains. Buses can be chartered out without causing disruptions to service. Trains do.

Chartering of private buses is different from chartering out public services. This is like chartering out SBS Bus No. 16 services from 1pm and 2pm and nobody else can take. The mass transit is a public amenity and as it is a public service, the public should not be denied from taking those trains.

It's a common sense... Why the deal falls through is an idiocy of miraculous level.

Don't know. Maybe it's just an old boy doing his alma mater a favour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Kuek

Ha ha ha, Kit has the answer. ACS is all about connections.

This is a case of "My Grandfather Rail."

1146196.jpg

Last edited:
An analogy is CAAS lets CAG operate Changi Airport and then CAG suddenly announce only SIA can use the airport terminals on 1st April as all the terminals have been booked by SIA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changi_Airport_Group

An drew said:

Not quite the same, if you read SMRT's response in TODAY's article here, there are a few points mentioned (I'm just quoting hor):

1. Regular (non-chartered, public) train intervals were maintained during this period.
2. Chartered trains were injected between regular trains.
3. Trains will only be chartered during off-peak hours.
4. Trains have been chartered to transport students for large scale events over the years, including NE shows for NDP rehearsals.
5. Chartered train destination will be on same line.

I don't think any member of the public was denied normal (off-peak) service if SMRT's response is factual.

I can only hope that the views expressed here will focus on whether or not public transport can or cannot be chartered for private purposes, rather than focusing on a single school/entity involved. Because the latter begs the question: would the same level of attention be given if another school was involved? No, I'm not from ACS. Cheers.

Last edited:
You can't compare buses with trains. Buses can be chartered out without causing disruptions to service. Trains do.

Yes you can, if the situation described by SMRT is accurate.

Also, I may be wrong but there *is* a specific situation where a chartered bus breaks down and blocks a single-lane, one way road. Or are there no such roads in Singapore? Drivers..?

How about road closures for marathons? :) The roads are closed off and do disrupt the normal flow of traffic. Of course, there are arrangements made in advance for diversions, but the principle isn't quite far off, no?

Part of the attention is due to it being ACS. I believe if it were a non-elite school, SMRT would probably have been lauded for being flexible. People probably started jumping off their seats when they saw 'The Best Is Yet To Be' flashing on the LCD displays!! How can!?!?!

I also agree with Kit's point that chartering of trains stands a higher chance of disrupting regular service than buses. It would be up to SMRT to prove that things went on as per normal during the five trains' journey from One North to Stadium.

Yes you can, if the situation described by SMRT is accurate.

Also, I may be wrong but there *is* a specific situation where a chartered bus breaks down and blocks a single-lane, one way road. Or are there no such roads in Singapore? Drivers..?

How about road closures for marathons? :) The roads are closed off and do disrupt the normal flow of traffic. Of course, there are arrangements made in advance for diversions, but the principle isn't quite far off, no?

but you do have to admit that a dead train will cause more inconvenience than a dead bus wouldn't it? :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

QUite, actually. Members of public can opt to join in to the marathon (just pay the reg fee or join to cheer the runners). It's almost nation wide.

So is the OCBC cycling, F1, sundown marathon, etc. It's a public event. This one is restricted to certain school only.

It would be OK, if SMRT ferries other school students too. The issue occur when it ferries ACS only.

Last edited:
QUite, actually. Members of public can opt to join in to the marathon (just pay the reg fee or join to cheer the runners). It's almost nation wide.

So is the OCBC cycling, F1, sundown marathon, etc. It's a public event. This one is restricted to certain school only.

It would be OK, if SMRT ferries other school students too. The issue occur when it ferries ACS only.

F1 is a public event, when tickets for the public come with a significant price tag? Some of the marathons' entry fee goes close to $100. That's my issue with using a test of public versus private events. How you draw the line is highly debatable.