Is this sharp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkkoo78

Oct 13, 2010
HI all,

Is this sharp?

20110208_Flower_0001 by BKKOO, on Flickr

This is the 1024 x 683, the 4608 x 3072 is more clear that it is blur.

This pic is shot with

Nikon d3100 + 50mm 1.4G
1/640 secs at f/ 1.6
ISO 100

The focus is the yellow/red center of the flower

** I am already shooting with a tripod on a 2 sec timer

Wrong tool? Wrong setting?

Please advise...

Thanks all in advance.

Last edited:
Looks sharp to me, just that the DOF is too thin at f1.6 therefore some areas are out of focus

Looks sharp to me, just that the DOF is too thin at f1.6 therefore some areas are out of focus

Agree. You should try f/2.8

The red yellow portion looks alright to me. The DOF is too shallow, try sth like f9-f16 and do mirror lockup to further reduce vibration

Looks a bit underexposed to me. Since you were shooting with a tripod, could have tried using a slower shutter speed?

Last edited:
:) It seems like u have focused on the center of the flower, which is white in color, therefore creating an illusion that this flower shot is not very sharp.

Can i recommend u to focus on the reddish patch of the flower instead. That should give u more contrast.

Also as recommended by some, reduce the size of ur aperture so that the focus is not only restricted at a certain part of the flower but the whole flower instead.

did you set to spot focussing and rely on manual? if you wear specs, but did not put them on, you may need to adjust the diopter setting for the viewfinder.

ISO 100-125 is ok.

there r rules of thumbs for shutter speed.

forget the timer, try get a hand held remote instead.

for exposure, the fact rear petal is casting a shadow on the front petal shows that backlight is stronger. you may wanna consider using light bounce. you may also wanna consider spraying some water droplet for added effect.

Sometimes i also faced with this problem when shooting flower with my kit lens which i dont think is sharp at all... Maybe u can try droping dwn 2-3 stops to see it helps on the sharpness.
Or get a real marco lens.

Agree. You should try f/2.8

Ok... I will try next time...

The red yellow portion looks alright to me. The DOF is too shallow, try sth like f9-f16 and do mirror lockup to further reduce vibration

would doing a 9 - 16 bring my background into focus too? (my intention is to blow the background out of the sky)

Ooo... is there a way to take the picture while the mirror is lockup?? Do explain if you can..

THanks,

Looks a bit underexposed to me. Since you were shooting with a tripod, could have tried using a slower shutter speed?

I was trying to keep at 1.4 as I wanted to blow the background out of the sky... will try to up the F number and try again...

:) It seems like u have focused on the center of the flower, which is white in color, therefore creating an illusion that this flower shot is not very sharp.

Can i recommend u to focus on the reddish patch of the flower instead. That should give u more contrast.

Also as recommended by some, reduce the size of ur aperture so that the focus is not only restricted at a certain part of the flower but the whole flower instead.

Hmmm... pretty sure its on the yellow red area from viewnx 2 software which shows my focus area. I will up the f next time.

did you set to spot focussing and rely on manual? if you wear specs, but did not put them on, you may need to adjust the diopter setting for the viewfinder.

ISO 100-125 is ok.

there r rules of thumbs for shutter speed.

forget the timer, try get a hand held remote instead.

for exposure, the fact rear petal is casting a shadow on the front petal shows that backlight is stronger. you may wanna consider using light bounce. you may also wanna consider spraying some water droplet for added effect.

Not using spot focusing, was using Matrix... Should I be using spot metering in much situations? Please advice...

Yes Manual setting.

Yes, was wearing my specs.

I thought there is no diff between hand held remote or timer. <--- Am i wrong?

Last edited:
Sometimes i also faced with this problem when shooting flower with my kit lens which i dont think is sharp at all... Maybe u can try droping dwn 2-3 stops to see it helps on the sharpness.
Or get a real marco lens.

I will try on dropping the F-stops and try again..

Is really a must Macro lens for flowers... I dont shoot insects and things small... Please advice.

I up the f-stops, the pictures looks much better..

Thanks all

Don't think there is MUP function in your D3100 so you could try using the "delay mode on" function. By default the timing is 1sec, this should minimise any vibration.

This setting should be found in your custom setting D*, just remember to turn it off when you are shooting handheld. You can combine it with your timer if you do not have a shutter remote.

Are you using AF or MF to focus?

Don't think there is MUP function in your D3100 so you could try using the "delay mode on" function. By default the timing is 1sec, this should minimise any vibration.

This setting should be found in your custom setting D*, just remember to turn it off when you are shooting handheld. You can combine it with your timer if you do not have a shutter remote.

Are you using AF or MF to focus?

AF

I don't think my camera got this MUP setting, but thanks for the knowledge.

next tm try to press down shutter button as soon as af confirm up. Coz it might be the little movement throwing the plane of focus out.

Get it exposed properly, use a diffused flash on it, it look so dull and uninteresting. Could fine tweak the saturation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.