Is this normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rk1980

May 24, 2004
hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to photography,hope u can help to ans some of my queries.

I just bought a set of rechargable batteries(together with the charger kit) yesterday,and I went abt to charge the batts once I reached home.The kit works in such a way that while charging,it will show a orange light,and the orange light will be turn off once it is fully charge.However, after abt 4 hrs, I noticed that the lights for 3 out of 4 batts ( I charged 4 batts) were out while a single orange light remain for the remaining battery. And it took sometime before this last orange light(with the last battery yet to be charge) to turn off.

I would like to ask..is this normal for rechargable batteries??? as in one or more batteries to be charged up faster than the rest?? or am i just over reacting???

thks a lot .

:)

Rk1980 said:
hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to photography,hope u can help to ans some of my queries.

I just bought a set of rechargable batteries(together with the charger kit) yesterday,and I went abt to charge the batts once I reached home.The kit works in such a way that while charging,it will show a orange light,and the orange light will be turn off once it is fully charge.However, after abt 4 hrs, I noticed that the lights for 3 out of 4 batts ( I charged 4 batts) were out while a single orange light remain for the remaining battery. And it took sometime before this last orange light(with the last battery yet to be charge) to turn off.

I would like to ask..is this normal for rechargable batteries??? as in one or more batteries to be charged up faster than the rest?? or am i just over reacting???

thks a lot .

:)
The charger sounds like the SONY ones i'm using... it should be normal... don't worry... u over-reacting..

thks for the replies guys.. he he ... guess i am over-reacting yea.. :sweat:

to devilicboy,
i'm using the sony superquickcharger(with refresh function),2300mah. :)

to nickmak,
just curious..are u using the same sony batts as me?? if yes,do u know what the refresh function is for??

thks again...

:sweatsm:

Refresh function is to fully deplete the batteries, thus removing the "memory effect".

Madmax said:
Refresh function is to fully deplete the batteries, thus removing the "memory effect".

i tot tht rechargeable ni-mh does nt have memory effect??
http://www.thepalmtree.com/nimh.htm

for my understanding, the ni-mh batteries will deplete if do nt use for long period even they have been fully charged up. so the refresh function is to maintain the batteries' full capacity before using them.

bry'an said:
i tot tht rechargeable ni-mh does nt have memory effect??
http://www.thepalmtree.com/nimh.htm

for my understanding, the ni-mh batteries will deplete if do nt use for long period even they have been fully charged up. so the refresh function is to maintain the batteries' full capacity before using them.

I thought so too. Actually the answer lies on the packaging cover of RK1980's charger.

Here's a quote from Dan's Data:

What people nowadays call memory effect is a combination of two things.

One - cell aging. Batteries don't last forever. The older they get, the less capacity they have. Live with it.

Two - "voltage depression". Voltage depression is a problem with NiCd batteries and, according to some sources, also with NiMH, and it doesn't affect the battery capacity much at all. Rather, the battery voltage drops unusually quickly as it discharges. Gadgets that monitor their battery voltage therefore think the battery's flat earlier than they should. There may be lots of capacity left at the slightly depressed voltage, but the gadget doesn't know that and flashes its "low battery" warning.

Fully discharging cells cures voltage depression, but if you fully discharge a whole battery then the stronger cells in the battery will "reverse" the weaker ones. The weaker ones go flat first, and then get charged backwards by the others. This is very bad for the weaker cells, and will kill a battery pack quick smart. So don't do it.

Fancier discharging hardware lets you set a voltage to discharge to - say, 0.9 volts per cell. A NiCd or NiMH cell that's down to 0.9 volts under moderate load has practically no charge left; it's very nearly dead flat. But stopping the discharge at that point, rather than letting the pack slump down to zero volts, should save weak cells in the pack from any significant reversal. Well, unless they're so weak that the pack's toast anyway.

The refresh function just discharges the cell to a certain voltage. You can do it manually using high power, low resistance resistors and a multi-meter to watch the voltage. The issue about cells reversing and killing off others only applies to battery packs. It won't affect your AA/ AAA batteries as they are single cells. It does affect 9v rechargables because they are made from multiple 1.2v cells.

U mean that thing actually works??? I use the SONY batteries and always thought that the refresh was some gimmick because never saw it come up... hehe...

normal....can work can liao...somethimes the microchip in the chargers tend to charge one battery after another..

ic ic
thks for the explanation...now i have a clearer picture of the 'refresh' function.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.