Is this normal?

Fit44

Jan 23, 2010
Just bought Canon Ixus 105($285) and tested the camera. At wide angle(28mm), the image at the top right hand corner is blur! Is this normal or the camera is faulty?

Actual photo
IMG_04933.jpg

100% crop right top corner
IMG_04932.jpg

What is your setting?

And have you check your lens glass? Did you somehow get some oily grease (thumbprint or fingerprint on that lens)?

Last edited:
the exif
Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon IXUS 105
Image Date: 2010:07:09 13:18:26
Focal Length: 5.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0016 s (1/640)
ISO equiv: 80
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

have you shot any with the landscape mode, does it still blur?

What is your setting?

And have you check your lens glass? Did you somehow get some oily grease (thumbprint or fingerprint on that lens)?

The lens glass is very clean and normal, the image is ok when I zoom in. Only at wide angle(28mm) then it appear blur only at top right hand corner!

TS, ur shooting at f2.8, thus the shallow dof..
bro, but that kind of distance to the 'target', especially considering the huge DOF of PnS cameras, I think the camera is already focusing at infinity.

TS, try taking another shot in similar bright lighting condition, but straight-on at a subject (ie perpendicular to a building). Then see if the same thing occurs at the widest angle.

No need to test lar, corners softness is pretty common in PNS camera, esp at wide angle.

Last edited:
I have a quick read at some internet review of the particular camera and see some of the test shot. Actually it seemed to be there have been some corners that are not as sharp as the center of the lens. So I think it is more or less there. But if in doubt... CSC is always your best friend to go to.

Small lens, small sensor, at max. aperture, so corner softness is normal.

but then top-right corner soft, top-left corner quite sharp.
a bit weird and annoying.

No, it's just the tight tolerances for such a small lens, coupled with a tiny sensor. Even the smallest lens imperfection or barrel misalignment will cause it.

Actually not bad already. Distortion is almost not there. You should have seen some of the sample shots I have seen in the net. This is consider not bad at all. But as I say, if you find it still suspicious and annoying, maybe give CSC a call or visit and see what they have to say.

No, it's just the tight tolerances for such a small lens, coupled with a tiny sensor. Even the smallest lens imperfection or barrel misalignment will cause it.

Agree.

Suggest TS to not worry about it. You pay for what you get. And yes, even more expensive PNS will be likely to have the same problem too. Heck, a bad lens on an expensive SLR will also give you similar results.

maybe you need a few models in the shot to distract you from fuzzy lines x]

This is abnormal. Even if there is softness, it should be around the 4 corners, not so much on the right hand side of the frame.

Maybe you can try cleaning the the lens with a soft lens tissue. It could be some grease on the lens. :think:

hmmm... you certainly have a good point.
Hope that the TS can resolve the issue somehow.

This is abnormal. Even if there is softness, it should be around the 4 corners, not so much on the right hand side of the frame.

Maybe you can try cleaning the the lens with a soft lens tissue. It could be some grease on the lens. :think:

You didn't read what Rashkae said? I had owned Canon A610 & A620 at different times, both have the same lens and both cameras I owned displayed different degree of corners softness.

Last edited:
You didn't read what Rashkae said? I had owned Canon A610 & A620 at different times, both have the same lens and both cameras I owned displayed different degree of corners softness.
this sort of 'problem', would service center entertain you? Just wondering... otherwise TS gotta suck thumb or seek alternative recourse.

this sort of 'problem', would service center entertain you? Just wondering... otherwise TS gotta suck thumb or seek alternative recourse.

They'll entertain. And sit on it. Then return it, and the softness will be in another corner. Repeat all over again.