Is this normal vignetting for 15-85mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanide24

Jul 14, 2006
Hi,

I just bought an EF-S 15-85mm lens.
When I was reviewing my photos, it seems like the vignetting is quite serious. (see images below).
I didn't use any lens hood with these photos.
Can anybody share their experience on this lens?
Is my lens a faulty one?
If these are not vignetting, what could be the other causes?

Thanks.

[No other editing was done on these photos. Only resizing and adding a white border]

IMG_64601.JPG

21mm @ F4

IMG_6490.JPG

32mm @ F4.5

i've used this lens for 3 days before and yes it is perfectly normal. go update the firmware of your DPP from canon.com.sg...and turn on peripheral correction on your camera. the vignetting will disappear when shooting in jpeg. if u shoot in raw, juz use lens correction to remove it. 15-85 is known to have strong vignetting and from wad i see on your photos it is exactly how it's supposed to behave. yup. no worries, your lens is fine. =)

i've used this lens for 3 days before and yes it is perfectly normal. go update the firmware of your DPP from canon.com.sg...and turn on peripheral correction on your camera. the vignetting will disappear when shooting in jpeg. if u shoot in raw, juz use lens correction to remove it. 15-85 is known to have strong vignetting and from wad i see on your photos it is exactly how it's supposed to behave. yup. no worries, your lens is fine. =)

Thanks for your reply.
My firmware is already at 1.07. Should be the latest.
How would updating my DPP help in reducing vignetting on my camera?
Can you advise me how to update?

ok u go to www.canon.com.sg under SUPPORT. select your camera...den look for DPP's latest version. that page is a mess...so look at the version number. oh its not DPP...its EOS Utility! sorry! to run it...juz simply run the file u downloaded. when done, connect the 50D to ur computer...when EOS utility starts up...try exploring? i cant rmb and now im in camp. so can't find any reference.

Updated EOS utility and added this lens.
Now my photos are much better.

Thanks much

there's vignetting thru out the range...

Updated EOS utility and added this lens.
Now my photos are much better.

Thanks much

The vignetting is quite pronouced. Do you have a filter on top of your lens which may add more problem with vignetting. There are expensive super thin filter which is suppose to reduce vignetting.

The vignetting is quite pronouced. Do you have a filter on top of your lens which may add more problem with vignetting. There are expensive super thin filter which is suppose to reduce vignetting.

I heard that when the filter's glass is too thick, it can cause vignetting.. Maybe u would like to get another filter with thinner glass??

I heard that when the filter's glass is too thick, it can cause vignetting.. Maybe u would like to get another filter with thinner glass??

Nope, I believe this is known issue with our 'NEW' 15-85mm lens (what the heck Canon's R&D doing?). But you can stop down to reduce the vignetting. But for me, sometimes vignetting adds artistic mark to the image ;p

Nope, I believe this is known issue with our 'NEW' 15-85mm lens (what the heck Canon's R&D doing?). But you can stop down to reduce the vignetting. But for me, sometimes vignetting adds artistic mark to the image ;p

Try using the software "PTLENS", I think it maybe your answer if you are shooting JPEG

hey bro u getting the 50 f/1.8 too? lol...

i've gonna it already
it totally opened an entire new experience for me with the large aperture

just curious
are there any scientific calculations to measure DOF vs Aperture?
i know larger aperture means shallower depth of field
but is there any numerical calculation for that?

@f1.8 the DOF is often not deep enough to have it entirely in focus
stopping down is one way , but i wish to find the sweet spot between the 2

i've gonna it already
it totally opened an entire new experience for me with the large aperture

just curious
are there any scientific calculations to measure DOF vs Aperture?
i know larger aperture means shallower depth of field
but is there any numerical calculation for that?

@f1.8 the DOF is often not deep enough to have it entirely in focus
stopping down is one way , but i wish to find the sweet spot between the 2

i just got mine. lol...really sharp even wide open at f/1.8. I'm really surprised. regarding the sweet spot it really depends on what you are shooting and what u want to achieve. that one has no fixed and hard rules. u haf to be very family with wad your cam+lens can do to achieve your ideal effect.

wow I didn't know the 15-85 has such severe vignette problems :sweat: This lens is pretty new and it suppose to replace the 17-85mm.

wow I didn't know the 15-85 has such severe vignette problems :sweat: This lens is pretty new and it suppose to replace the 17-85mm.

sharpness and overall image IQ is better than the 17~85 according to reviews for sure
anyway vignetting can be fixed with the peripheral illumination which is in the camera itself
so why fred over it?

yup agreed. and also this 15-85 is one hell of a sharp lens. second only to 17-55 in the EFS range. seriously on comparison...i found both to be on par though and 15-85 to be sharper at 50mm than 17-55. 15-85 is the 24-105 of crop bodies. great lens! vignetting is a norm for such zoom lenses covering a large range. besides, its a non-issue be it shooting in jpeg or raw. the only qualm i have with the 15-85 is the build. it may be the best efs built lens ever, but then its still far from L and the price is huge too. if u have the money...go for the 24-105L. zoom creep is a bit of an issue with the 15-85 too, and the worse part is that it doesn't come with a zoom lock. and creeping only happens at 24-50mm...its pretty much ok. =) i nearly got myself a brand new 15-85, but in the end went for the 17-40 and i love it. but im feeling kinda itchy now and wanna try 24-105. that's one lens that i've never used.

yup agreed. and also this 15-85 is one hell of a sharp lens. second only to 17-55 in the EFS range. seriously on comparison...i found both to be on par though and 15-85 to be sharper at 50mm than 17-55. 15-85 is the 24-105 of crop bodies. great lens! vignetting is a norm for such zoom lenses covering a large range. besides, its a non-issue be it shooting in jpeg or raw. the only qualm i have with the 15-85 is the build. it may be the best efs built lens ever, but then its still far from L and the price is huge too. if u have the money...go for the 24-105L. zoom creep is a bit of an issue with the 15-85 too, and the worse part is that it doesn't come with a zoom lock. and creeping only happens at 24-50mm...its pretty much ok. =) i nearly got myself a brand new 15-85, but in the end went for the 17-40 and i love it. but im feeling kinda itchy now and wanna try 24-105. that's one lens that i've never used.

BBB !!! :eek:
i wish i can do the same :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.