is this necessary?

canonmono

Nov 22, 2010
Yew Tee
i have a tokina 11-16mm WA lens, EF 18-200mm lens and im thinking of buying sigma 120-400mm lens .. is it necessary and how is the lens like if anyone used before becos there are not much review on this lens yet ..

i have a tokina 11-16mm WA lens, EF 18-200mm lens and im thinking of buying sigma 120-400mm lens .. is it necessary and how is the lens like if anyone used before becos there are not much review on this lens yet ..

Your question is weird, what do you mean whether buying sigma 120-400 is necessary? :think:
It depends whether you need to use lens of such zoom range.

:confused:
Yes it is definitely necessary, buy it as soon as you can before stock running out...

Only you will know if it is necessary...do you shoot birds?

I think i meant anyone tryout this sigma lens before cos i cant find much review on it .. =P

Why not?

If you are thinking birds, also take a look at the sigma 150-500mm OS HWM. It's pretty good.

If you are thinking birds, also take a look at the sigma 150-500mm OS HWM. It's pretty good.

I don't think he's thinking birds.

He's thinking BBB. Unless TS states otherwise, this is my view.

I think ts is asking if it is necessary to have a focal range of up to 400mm.

Depends on what u are shooting, or would like to shoot. For travel, street, portraits, general usage, it is not necessary, ur 18-200 shld be enough.

If you are asking, you DONT need it. NOT NECESSARY.

If you want to buy, then it is necessary because you want to and it is good for the economy.

unless you really need the 400mm reach...the 1.75kg lens is not something everyone likes to lug around as a walkabout lens. ;)

I don't think he's thinking birds.

He's thinking BBB. Unless TS states otherwise, this is my view.

If it's the itch of the BBB virus, then I suggest the Nikkor 200-400mm VR. Financing it will put you off itching for sometime. ;)

The Sigma 120-400mm is a good lens but it is not outstanding. It is about as good as the Sigma 150-500. A better lens from Sigma is the 50-500mm, often nicknamed the Bigma. The best lens in this zoom class is the Canon 100-400mm.

I've tested both the 120-400mm and the 150-500 and did a lot of research before settling on the Canon 100-400mm. Of course the Canon is more expensive but in review after review its IQ is superior. The Bigma fairs well against the Canon and is a good alternative.

This review is what steered me towards the Canon 100-400mm:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_100-400_sigma_120-400_150-500_50-500.htm

So why do you want to buy it?

Because you like the numbers 120 and 400?

The Sigma 120-400mm is a good lens but it is not outstanding. It is about as good as the Sigma 150-500. A better lens from Sigma is the 50-500mm, often nicknamed the Bigma.

Isn't it strange that the 50-500 is better than the 150-500? What is wrong with Sigma? :dunno:

Firstly, if you're able to afford it and want it really much then by all means. Looking from the economical point of view, ask yourself what are you going to do with it? Are you going to do plane spotting, sports, wildlife or birding? If you think you'll put it to good use then by all means. :)

Isn't it strange that the 50-500 is better than the 150-500? What is wrong with Sigma? :dunno:

The 50-500 upgraded OS version was announced in 2010. The 150-500 was back in 2008.

what do u mean by necessary? if you often want to shoot at that focal length but don't have the lens, then you may need it. if you have to ask that question, i'm thinking most likely you don't. your current setup is already very versatile and so do spend some time playing with them so you can learn more and improve your techniques.