Is this forum only for dSLRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholasoh

Mar 6, 2007
Hi, I'm a noob in photography so much so that I would like to go for an entry level cameras such as D40 but the price really puts me down. I guess this can only come true in near future.

Previously, I got a KM X50, which is a digicam and I would like to upgrade to a better one. I read through the newbie corner and found out that most of the threads here relates to dSLRs and none of it to digicams. I did some research and found some preferences ranked in my choice;

1) Sony DSC-H9
2) Canon PowerShot S5 IS
3) Sony T100

I don't know if I can get any guidance for this but apart from still images, I would also like to capture images from fireworks and in huge concert hall. My gf prefers my 3rd choice due to its design but I don't know what to say to convince her.

I'm waiting for Comex to get one of these. Though dSLRs seems to be a better choice in photography but I guess I have to wait for a couple of years more before I could afford it. Right now, I guess I have to get the best out of my $900/- budget.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Do look at the forthcoming Panasonic FZ18. Should be launched at Comex end of the mth.

Welcome to Clubsnap.

Please browse through the various forum categories and look carefully, it's not just about DLSRs, there are plenty of discussion of compact and prosumer digi cameras as well.

And compact cameras can also taken quality photographs. Like someone said before, it's not about the camera, but it's the person who is behind the camera.

And you are most welcome to join us at the 2nd Newbie Outing:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=302784

Hi, I'm a noob in photography so much so that I would like to go for an entry level cameras such as D40 but the price really puts me down. I guess this can only come true in near future.

Previously, I got a KM X50, which is a digicam and I would like to upgrade to a better one. I read through the newbie corner and found out that most of the threads here relates to dSLRs and none of it to digicams. I did some research and found some preferences ranked in my choice;

1) Sony DSC-H9
2) Canon PowerShot S5 IS
3) Sony T100

I don't know if I can get any guidance for this but apart from still images, I would also like to capture images from fireworks and in huge concert hall. My gf prefers my 3rd choice due to its design but I don't know what to say to convince her.

I'm waiting for Comex to get one of these. Though dSLRs seems to be a better choice in photography but I guess I have to wait for a couple of years more before I could afford it. Right now, I guess I have to get the best out of my $900/- budget.

$900 can get a 2nd hand DSLR here with lens and some accessories le.

Go for a D50 in the B/S Section here. Beats ANY of the aboved mentioned PnS.

Welcome to CS!

For the compacts/PnS, you'll need to refer to the various manufacturer/brand sections to read about them. dSLRS were more discussed in the general sections as they are pretty similar in construction, and hence some queries applies across the board.

Got tons of useful info when I was searching for the Pana FZ-5 a few years back! :thumbsup:

1) Sony DSC-H9
2) Canon PowerShot S5 IS
3) Sony T100

Welcome to CS. For a budget of $900, you can get a 2nd hand DSLR with a basic lens to start with. Try looking at the marketplace. And then you progressively move on to get a semi-pro DSLR like the Canon D30, D40, or Nikon D80 if you are really serious in photography.

Welcome dude.

As usual, whenever a newbie appears everyone attempts to convince him to buy DSLR. I hope you have a strong mind to decide what you really want, there is no right and wrong really. And peer pressure on the Internet is really inexistant - exists only in your mind.

You may want to read something I wrote, some of the prosumers you have mentioned above are mentioned inside, and you can also find out the pros and cons of getting a prosumer over a DSLR. Cheers!

$900 can get a 2nd hand DSLR here with lens and some accessories le.

Go for a D50 in the B/S Section here. Beats ANY of the aboved mentioned PnS.

\
actually D40 kit 2nd hand goes for much less than ur budget, if this is the model u want

upgrade your skills first
a P&S can take better pictures than DSLR, it depends on the user

eg.

IMG_0525.jpg

Welcome dude.

As usual, whenever a newbie appears everyone attempts to convince him to buy DSLR. I hope you have a strong mind to decide what you really want, there is no right and wrong really. And peer pressure on the Internet is really inexistant - exists only in your mind.

You may want to read something I wrote, some of the prosumers you have mentioned above are mentioned inside, and you can also find out the pros and cons of getting a prosumer over a DSLR. Cheers!

Thanks bro.

Welcome to CS!

For the compacts/PnS, you'll need to refer to the various manufacturer/brand sections to read about them. dSLRS were more discussed in the general sections as they are pretty similar in construction, and hence some queries applies across the board.

Got tons of useful info when I was searching for the Pana FZ-5 a few years back! :thumbsup:

Thanks bro. I'm with the jargon. What's compacts/PnS? Any simple elaboration?

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the prompt and useful reply. I was thinking about 2nd hand products. I don't feel good to this and moreover, I have some bad experiences with 2nd hand products. Not to mention that I'm a complete noob in this and does not know what to check when it comes to transaction.

Do look at the forthcoming Panasonic FZ18. Should be launched at Comex end of the mth.

Thanks bro. I took a glimpse at cnet and realize that it's only selling in US around Sept. Not sure will it be here in time for Comex.

If that is the case, Do not go for Sony PnS. (PnS = Point and Shoot Cameras). The noise is too much.

Thanks bro. I'm with the jargon. What's compacts/PnS? Any simple elaboration?

PnS/Compacts are the small pocket sized cameras (eg. your X50)

Prosumer are bigger cameras with more controls but cannnot change lens like a DSLR (eg. Sony H9/F828)

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the prompt and useful reply. I was thinking about 2nd hand products. I don't feel good to this and moreover, I have some bad experiences with 2nd hand products. Not to mention that I'm a complete noob in this and does not know what to check when it comes to transaction.

You can try looking for those with warranty ones. Actually the cameras in the Buy/Sell forum here are pretty good as our fellow CSers do take care of their stuff and you can always bring someone more experienced to help you to check the cam before payment. You can also request for personal warranty if the shop warranty is over but this is usually pretty short (usually about a week only).

Welcome dude.

Aiyo, look at the TS 1st post leh. He wanted an entry level dSLR, just that not enuff budget for now.

So he DEFINATELY, EVENTUALLY will get dSLR.

Thus, we just tell him, with that kinda budget ($900), can already get a second-hand one (with spare cash some more).

Just that he don't like 2nd hand stuffs.

:sweat:

Hi bros..

I was looking around at the marketplace and found this.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=302752

I think its a good buy but how come lens doesn't come with it? A bit odd with selling a camera without lens. How to shoot in this case?

How much does the lens cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.