Is this ethical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klose said:
What if the fella is a kid not yet in NS? :think:

So? Kids these days have no respect for copyright nor do they have any respect for the law UNTIL they're slapped across the face with legal proceedings so my take is, if they can dish it, they can take it.

I guess slapping a watermark across the whole image and then knocking back the transparency is the way to go about it.

G-man said:
So? Kids these days have no respect for copyright nor do they have any respect for the law UNTIL they're slapped across the face with legal proceedings so my take is, if they can dish it, they can take it.

I guess slapping a watermark across the whole image and then knocking back the transparency is the way to go about it.

Let us hear his side of the story first. :)

aiyo tell him 1 time nicely, wait for response. If none take action lor

My thoughts lah.

Motive:
Even if the kid came across these pics in A.Net and wanted to share them with his friends, he SHOULD still have given due credit to the photographers. He failed to do so - that's as good as claiming the photos for himself.

Action:
Follow-up action should be left to A.Net and the photographers to decide. After all, they own the photos. Has anyone notified the respective parties?
Any other leechers should also be be exposed likewise. No need to be nice, they should know the consequences already.

LazerLordz said:
there are more examples of leeching in this forum.

if i were to list them out, I would need 50 man-years to do so. (sounds familiar? ;) )

I think it would be good if you could list them out... either to help those who are in the wrong or to help those who have been victims.

LazerLordz said:
there are more examples of leeching in this forum.

if i were to list them out, I would need 50 man-years to do so. (sounds familiar? ;) )
melnjes said:
:thumbsd:

I'd say expose the leechers.
nyxx88 said:
I think it would be good if you could list them out... either to help those who are in the wrong or to help those who have been victims.
Balabong said:

It would be good to serve as a prevention for future leeching in this forum.

Like the old saying goes, " You can cheat everybody into believing you, but you can never cheat yourself ".
Why do such things, let all this roasting that you get be a valuable lesson to you. Prey hard now, the law enforcer don't come knocking at your door.

I'm not a Christian/Catholic/etc but,

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Some of the people posting before me are talking legal action, compensation, but step back a little? You're trying to "teach a lesson" to a young man whom you all know has not gone to National Service. Are you trying to bully or resorting to scare tactics on someone who you know isn't mature or worldly enough to put up resistance?

Or do you think he is just a convenient person to be made an example of?

You might say, "Oh, but I've NEVER infringed someone else's copyright, so I am qualified to get all huffy and indignant about this breach of intellectual property!" but do let me know if your computer has not one single files (be it computer program, video, or MP3 or some other media) that complies with all the associated copyrights entitled to it.

I am not condoning his actions, but neither am I condoning the actions of those who are baying for his blood.

r32 said:
I'm not a Christian/Catholic/etc but,

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Some of the people posting before me are talking legal action, compensation, but step back a little? You're trying to "teach a lesson" to a young man whom you all know has not gone to National Service. Are you trying to bully or resorting to scare tactics on someone who you know isn't mature or worldly enough to put up resistance?

Or do you think he is just a convenient person to be made an example of?

You might say, "Oh, but I've NEVER infringed someone else's copyright, so I am qualified to get all huffy and indignant about this breach of intellectual property!" but do let me know if your computer has not one single files (be it computer program, video, or MP3 or some other media) that complies with all the associated copyrights entitled to it.

I am not condoning his actions, but neither am I condoning the actions of those who are baying for his blood.
yeaps.
gif him a break la...

I agree that pursuing legal actions is a bit too far fetched and a bit unrealistic. I just sincerely hope that the member in question understands that it isn't right and isn't cool at all to use other people's photographs to show how good one's photographs is. I guess its a question of personal integrity. The purpose of A.net is to share good aviation photos with everyone, and I guess its the viewers' own personal responsibility to respect the image posted bahz. I think that many of the photographers have other better things to do (such as engaging the hobby which they love best) than to pursue legal action against someone in cases like this.

Online plagarism of pix has to be stopped at the root as soon as possible, IMHO. I experienced some of my pix being stolen from my gallery and uploaded into another gallery and then another guy steals from that gallery and uploads into his own....its a never ending cycle.

Speaking of the computer example, its different as it stops just there for many people. Just like people downloading pictures into their comp and feels that it looks nicer for the wallpaper without the copyright bar and crop it away for some reason. Not uploading the 'illegal' content or cropped photo online for further distribution other than the original. That's another step, IMO.

Like I said, let the owners of the photographs decide what action to take. It is not up to us to give the fella a break or to punish him. We don't own the photographs.

At our end, at the very least, we should expose all similar leechers, and let the owners decide similarly how to deal with them.

Or are we saying, let's just give these people a break and close one eye?

Or are we even telling the owners of these photographs, "Look, I'm sure you have something that doesn't belong to you on your computer. You're equally guilty. Why don't you give this guy a break?"

Set up another Thread to see who agree to sue lah. Make the list :) Ask CS admin to give IP address of the roti user. Then ask ISP to pint point the user lor.

Haiz....SUE!!!!

A lot of people think its very easy to sue hehe :)

This is a sad day for CS. I know of others who leech photos from the internet but a CS member leeching from another CS member and claiming it is his is really bad. Age does not entitle you to commit a crime. And please let's not talk about illegal MP3 or software. That is another issue totally. That is your individual preference. This is something that as a photographer you should know right from wrong.

jbma said:
This is a sad day for CS. I know of others who leech photos from the internet but a CS member leeching from another CS member and claiming it is his is really bad.

so leeching from non CS member is not so bad? hmmm.. that's something new for me. :thumbsup:

maybe he wants to impress or 'sian' some char bors :bsmilie: .... it works all the time...my hero.... what a 'wonderful' photographer you are :devil:

Let them pay him a visit when he ends up in those 'places' .... meanwhile, remember always to identify your pics !

Status
Not open for further replies.