Is this (Dell UltraSharp U2410) worth the investment?

Spectrum

Jun 22, 2003
Here
Visit site
Hi there,
I'm just curious to know is this monitor good for photo editing & doing 3D stuff? Do advise & TIA.

it really depends on the output...on my old eizo, there are times i get feedback that the colors look odd on their Macs which apparently was uncallibrated but being Mac is taken that their colors are correct and mine was wrong.

yes it is swee. buy!

Hi there,
I'm just curious to know is this monitor good for photo editing & doing 3D stuff? Do advise & TIA.

When you spend good money on it, it's definitely good stuff. :cool:

I using a cheapo Dell Laptop and Mac G5 desktop for video editing/colour correction/animation and photo touchup. As long as your monitor is calibrated properly, any LCD/LED monitors can serve the same need. When you throw more money at your gears, you got to justify to yourself why when you get something else at half the amount.

When you spend good money on it, it's definitely good stuff. :cool:

I using a cheapo Dell Laptop and Mac G5 desktop for video editing/colour correction/animation and photo touchup. As long as your monitor is calibrated properly, any LCD/LED monitors can serve the same need. When you throw more money at your gears, you got to justify to yourself why when you get something else at half the amount.

You're absolutely wrong in this!!

Most of the el-cheapo TN panels are only 6 bits / channel and all in all 18 bits for RGB. Also, never forget the limited viewing angles and the color loss / shift on widest viewing angles.

How can you compare these to the true IPS panels with extraordinary viewing angles (H-178 / V-178) with 1.07 billion color depth from 12-bit internal processing (8 Bits / channel) and 6 Axis Color Controls (RGBCMY).

I'm not even going to talk about the NTSC / Adobe RGB / sRGB color coverage.

Tell me which TN panel comes with a factory calibration and a guaranteed Delta E of less than 5?

Most of the el-cheapo TN panels are only 6 bits / channel and all in all 18 bits for RGB. Also, never forget the limited viewing angles and the color loss / shift on widest viewing angles.

How can you compare these to the true IPS panels with extraordinary viewing angles (H-178 / V-178) with 1.07 billion color depth from 12-bit internal processing (8 Bits / channel) and 6 Axis Color Controls (RGBCMY).

Tell me which TN panel comes with a factory calibration and a guaranteed Delta E of less than 5?

Good explaination. That is why IPS panel cost much more than TN panel.

Dell has one of the affordable IPS monitor.

Thk you all for the info dudes. One more question here. May I know which recent color calibrator (brand) can you guys recommend that has better performance (plus easy to use) for getting better results out from the Dell U2410? Do advise & cheers.:)

Last edited:
Thk you all for the info dudes. One more question here. May I know which recent color calibrator (brand) can you guys recommend that has better performance (plus easy to use) in getting better results out from the Dell U2410? Do advise & cheers.:)

Spyder3 / i1Display 2

spyder 3 pro with coloreyes software.

skip the i1display.

color munki also not bad but i havent tried.

Can you share more of your experience with the Spyder3 and the i2?

I just posted this over in the Digital Darkroom area:

"Found an interesting view put up on the popular Spyder 3 colorimeter:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16756

Extracted from the article:
"The Spyder3 is a wonderfully engineered meter but it lacked factory calibration. Our past experience with Spyder meters showed that only approximately 1/3 were accurate enough out of the box for serious display calibration. The others were simply too far off to be of any use."

Perhaps that could be one of the reasons why some people, after calibration, aren't too happy with the result?

Sounds like one of those "between the devil and the deep blue sea" situations - Spyder 3 better hardware but calibration inconsistent, i1display2 inferior hardware but better calibrated."

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6062711&postcount=45

As for Colormunki, the Photo or Design ones come with a more sophisticated hardware - a spectrophotometer. But the Colormunki Create's hardware looks like the i1Display2's colorimeter.

I'm not advocating that to go for cheapo TN panels and avoid IPS panels. When you throw good money for IPS panels, you got to justify the purchase to yourself. I don't see the practicality of buying it just to admire the 1.07billion colour depth etc etc.

I use a 2 year old gear with perhaps a technology already 5 years old to churn out products that my clients pay for. If el cheapo can do the job, I don't see the need to spend more money.

Sometimes it is easy to be carried away when you buy gears with pockets full of cash. That's why there are people who buy pns to shoot great photos and there're people who buy great dslr to shoot crappy photos.

Got that guys. Thks once again & I will check that out. Cheers

think Dell UltraSharpTM U2711 just launched.

I'm not advocating that to go for cheapo TN panels and avoid IPS panels.

I'm glad that you're not..

When you throw good money for IPS panels, you got to justify the purchase to yourself. I don't see the practicality of buying it just to admire the 1.07billion colour depth etc etc.
Obviously, the TN panels have trouble showing even millions of colors. To be precise, TRUE colors. You CAN get millions of colors by sub pixel dithering, spatial dithering, temporal dithering and Frame Rate Control. Again, I reiterate that these can't be taken for true colors.

I use a 2 year old gear with perhaps a technology already 5 years old to churn out products that my clients pay for. If el cheapo can do the job, I don't see the need to spend more money.

If your TN panel shows colors closer to your output, you're indeed lucky. Not everyone can be as lucky as you.

Sometimes it is easy to be carried away when you buy gears with pockets full of cash. That's why there are people who buy pns to shoot great photos and there're people who buy great dslr to shoot crappy photos.

This analogy doesn't work here..A TN can't even reproduce the true colors. If the person is serious in photography making a living out of it, I would strongly suggest to go for a professional monitor or at least an affordable IPS based monitor (Avoid E-IPS at all cost).

Again, I'm not offensive against your post or your comments. I'm just stating the facts clear for the TS to make a wise decision.

Peace.

I'm glad that you're not..

Obviously, the TN panels have trouble showing even millions of colors. To be precise, TRUE colors. You CAN get millions of colors by sub pixel dithering, spatial dithering, temporal dithering and Frame Rate Control. Again, I reiterate that these can't be taken for true colors.

If your TN panel shows colors closer to your output, you're indeed lucky. Not everyone can be as lucky as you.

This analogy doesn't work here..A TN can't even reproduce the true colors. If the person is serious in photography making a living out of it, I would strongly suggest to go for a professional monitor or at least an affordable IPS based monitor (Avoid E-IPS at all cost).

Again, I'm not offensive against your post or your comments. I'm just stating the facts clear for the TS to make a wise decision.

Peace.

hi geekbrains,

what monitor would u recommend? :) i might buy one...as my laptop LCD colors really sucks..

tks alot :)

DO NOT BUY.

I have a U2410 sitting on my desk right now and I have been in talks with Dell's customer service, which for your information is TERRIBLE. Poor follow-up, tardy replies, long holds and frequent disconnections and line-drops.

Their sales staff is very efficient though when making the purchase 3 of them chased me for my order. Unfortunately none of them were sure about the system specs. The Ultrasharp panel has a 0 dead pixel guarantee but they all told me 5 or 6.

I have gone through 3 replacements ALL of which has a pink tinting and backlight bleeding issue. All 3 replacements are the latest revisions and technical support has confirmed that this is a PRODUCT ISSUE.

From experience the monitor comes set up way too cool and most people won't notice the pink tint issue UNTIL you calibrate your monitor, then it starts to rear it's ugly head.

So I will do you the favour now. DO NOT BUY. The smaller 21" ips panel has less issues. This 24" one is a lemon.

hi geekbrains,

what monitor would u recommend? :) i might buy one...as my laptop LCD colors really sucks..

tks alot :)

This really depends on your budget dude..What size are you looking at? If you're looking for a cheaper 24" yet a good performance IPS based monitor, go for this U2410. If you can fork out a little more, get the HP LP2475W or with a few more $$ go for the NEC 2490WUXi for the excellent color accuracy.

strange ... i used dis monitor so far so good...got it earlier dis year.