Is this art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup...it is art

by definition...
"the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture producing works to be apprecited primarily for their beauty or emotional power" (dashboard widgit of dictionary on a mac)

emotional power, that is has...so it is art.

for a place that basically lives by the letter, i'm surprised...but it's nice to see emotion on this one. i think the artist needs a punch in the mouth, but hey, by definition, it is art.

But I think we should not talk about the wider issue of killing, such as killing for sustenance.
this i agree.

when a life is needlessly taken - a fatal accident or murder for example, especially for a complex sentient being like a human being or a dog - it is normal for people to feel a sort of outrage. and people express them in all sorts of different ways. there is nothing inherently wrong in this, it's human instinct. but i also agree we should be mindful of our reactions, too, lest it go out of hand or expressed inappropriately.

on a deeper level of compassion, there will be no discrimination between all life. whether microscopic,plant,insect,animal,human. a single dog's life is no different from thousands of monks lives. same. when forcefully and intentionally taken for corrupt or delusional motives - murder. why should it be any different?

this i agree.

when a life is needlessly taken - a fatal accident or murder for example, especially for a complex sentient being like a human being or a dog - it is normal for people to feel a sort of outrage. and people express them in all sorts of different ways. there is nothing inherently wrong in this, it's human instinct. but i also agree we should be mindful of our reactions, too, lest it go out of hand or expressed inappropriately.

on a deeper level of compassion, there will be no discrimination between all life. whether microscopic,plant,insect,animal,human. a single dog's life is no different from thousands of monks lives. same. when forcefully and intentionally taken for corrupt or delusional motives - murder. why should it be any different?

idealistic viewpoint, i agree, but the reality is life is discriminant. some people like rats, others want to kill them. some people revere perhaps a cow, others revere a cow when it is sizzling. some might say all life is precious, others might want to fog the neighborhood to kill insects for fear of diseases. so ideal yes, but real, no. humans should not only react to inhumane things in death or show compassion in death. compassion starts at life and if we cannot be compassionate in life, why be so hypocritical in death. we are compassionate about a monks, yet not compassionate towards an old woman on the mrt standing when perhaps the compassionate thing to do is to give her your seat.

we let things, our own individual fears, selfishness, needs, get in the way of compassion. look at it this way, why did no one free the dog? why do we not take to the streets when the greater good lies in the life of people? we do not care, we are afraid, we are selfish...

i agree with you, but we are human. having said that, have a passion in compassion. do one nice thing today and i promise you it will feel better than any feeling "kiasu" will ever give.

yup...it is art

by definition...
"the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture producing works to be apprecited primarily for their beauty or emotional power" (dashboard widgit of dictionary on a mac)

emotional power, that is has...so it is art.

for a place that basically lives by the letter, i'm surprised...but it's nice to see emotion on this one. i think the artist needs a punch in the mouth, but hey, by definition, it is art.

So act of terrorism is also art?!?

I liked this reply from that thread:

"I'm gonna tie him up, screw his GF/wife infront of him in public, call it art. then I will proceed to beating his knees to pulp too."

Hahaha.. I guess that's art too right?

So act of terrorism is also art?!?

:thumbsup:

Good point lsisaxon.

Unfortunately people use the excuse of the term "art" to justify anything.

It is also unfortunate that others look upon such things as being art because the originater named it "art"

If you look at the photo's you will see people standing around drinking with the dog behind them dying.

They look like they are there to witness the originators art.

If I took a photo of two cars in an accident that claimed the death of 4 people, can I call it art.

Can I use some made up explanation so I can say it is art.

Using your point about terrorism; is a photo of a plane going into a building (9/11) art ?

lsisaxon I hope you don't feel any of what I have said is negative to what you have said.

I agree with you fully.

I am angry with the person that caused a death with no feeling and with what people are allowed to get away with under the name of "art"

:angry:

I had put my point down on this a few posts back and thought not to do so again, but, apart from what this assh0le has done; the use of the term art piss3s me off.

terrorism...art

good point

but i gotta say terrorism does not strike a nerve for me and i am not wrapped up in it. i look at this way, you step on someone's toes long enough, they will kick you back and that is what happened. i don't agree with terrorism, but i can see why it happens. i don't agree with calling this art, but i can see why some people will call it art. art is opinionated. it's like durian, for foreigners it is one of the most fowl disgusting things, but hey, it's well liked...durian, durian bread, durian pies, durian ice cream, it strikes a strong emotion in me but is it art...some people may think so, but not me.

some may say the terrorist attacks were beautiful, a work of art...some may not. some may call this dog issue a work of art, and some may not. so again, by definition, if that emotional power has led some to believe it is art, then to them it is. it may not to you, but isn't art about opinions?

the art of politics
the art of war or sun tzu (sp), the art of war
the art of photography
martial arts
bachelor of arts
...are these all art? is war an art...yes it is
is terrorism an art...well, if war is, i suppose terrorism would be an art also...but i dont agree with it.

terrorism...art

good point

of course it is not, but i gotta say terrorism does not strike a nerve for me and i am not wrapped up in it. i look at this way, you step on someone's toes long enough, they will kick you back and that is what happened. i don't agree with terrorism, but i can see why it happens. i don't agree with calling this art, but i can see why some people will call it art. art is opinionated. it's like durian, for foreigners it is one of the most fowl disgusting things, but hey, it's well liked...durian, durian bread, durian pies, durian ice cream, it strikes a strong emotion in me but is it art...some people may think so, but not me.

some may say the terrorist attacks were beautiful, a work of art...some may not. some may call this dog issue a work of art, and some may not. so again, by definition, if that emotional power has led some to believe it is art, then to them it is. it may not to you, but isn't art about opinions?

the art of politics
the art of murder
the art of money
the art of war or sun tzu (sp), the art of war
the art of photography
martial arts
bachelor of arts
...are these all art? is war an art...yes it is
is terrorism an art...well, if war is, i suppose terrorism would be an art also...but i dont agree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.