Is this a sign of "back focus" lens?

kenny888

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
hi all,

i've noticed something which is bothering me, i'm not sure if my lens has "back focus". i've posted some pics. could u guys help me to check pls?

in theory, DOF covers a zone of 1/3 in front of the focus point and 2/3 behind the focus point. so with this in mind, i began to shoot some figurines that i have at home.

here are pics that i shot with the first lens at different focus point.

focus on center
4581374799_4e48575f11_o.jpg

focus on the right
4581374737_44ea248566_o.jpg

here are pics that i shot with another lens. it seems that this lens has back focus is it? or am i wrong? i'm very puzzled.

focus on the right
4581378825_8069e38362_o.jpg

focus on center
4582008574_f4296e9639_o.jpg

pls advise. is my second lens having some problems? tks!

use a focus chart for more accurate test

Download the focus test chart here: http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

Follow the instructions.

Do note:

1. Use a tripod. No handholding.
2, Be mindful of the MFD (minimum focusing distance) of each lens and make sure the chart is beyond MFD.

BTW... I have Del Piero.. And he is often my subject for lens tests too. ;)

Last edited:
ooo i have that chart too. but to put it at 45 degrees exactly might be difficult. i'll try it out tmr. tks. coz as u can see in the pics, it seems that it has back focus, thats worrying me.

haha oo u got that figurine too? LOL! i havent touch them for a loooong time, been in my drawer for many years. finally took it out to test my focusing lolx.

wow this is the first time only one reply after one full day LOL!

ooo i have that chart too. but to put it at 45 degrees exactly might be difficult. i'll try it out tmr. tks. coz as u can see in the pics, it seems that it has back focus, thats worrying me.

haha oo u got that figurine too? LOL! i havent touch them for a loooong time, been in my drawer for many years. finally took it out to test my focusing lolx.

wow this is the first time only one reply after one full day LOL!

Don't have to be exactly 45deg la. Agar Agar.

if in doubt and have time, send the lens to the service center for testing.

You may use a lens test chart to do your own testing and know your equipment better.
ie resolution/coma/colour fridge

okiee i'll update u all when i'm done with my testing on the focus chart.

the last second pic is actually FOCUS ON THE MIDDLE. but end up the left object is pretty clear too. i type wrongly.

past two days wasnt really at home. outside with some events. finally have some free time lolx. okie i'll update all tmr.