Is this a Nikon?

Sep 29, 2006
Bought this from a fellow snapper. Is this a NIKON?
No NIKON logo or model on lens.

NIK_1090.jpg

the style of the markings shows quite clearly its a Nikon :)

You look at the apeture ring, it is totally 101% Nikon style. the font and font size of the markings, the orange coloured number f/22, the "dotted" grip of the apeture ring --> 101% Nikon Style

as for the barrel of the lens, it is the same material as the old push-pull Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens

Last edited:
No. No. No.

the style of the markings shows quite clearly its a Nikon :)

You look at the apeture ring, it is totally 101% Nikon style. the font and font size of the markings, the orange coloured number f/22, the "dotted" grip of the apeture ring --> 101% Nikon Style

as for the barrel of the lens, it is the same material as the old push-pull Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens

I have googled, don't seems to find this lens in the whole NIKON range. Wonder why there is no NIKON logo or model number. BTW it is a 35-70 2.8

Last edited:
Should be a Nikkor lens judging from the colour of the aperture marking, as well as the barrel construction.
Looks like my old 70-210 f/4-5.6 but mine has big labels on the lens.

Try if it has AF and pull to see the max focal length? My guess is some AI 70-210 f/2.8.
(But there's no f/2.8 zoom lens by Nikon starting with a focal length of 70mm plus a push-pull design iirc)

confirm it's Nikon F Mount, but a third party lenses, no idea of its brand. Vivitar?

i have a 35-70 f2.8 and it does not look exactly like your copy. It seems that some parts are missing

could it be that the old user replaced the top rubber with 3rd party rubber? causing it to look bigger? like modern day gaffering?

could it be that the old user replaced the top rubber with 3rd party rubber? causing it to look bigger? like modern day gaffering?

Haha, the model number is suppose to be below the focusing marking.

Well, the lens cap says NIKON...

maybe you found yourself a prototype of the 35- 70 2.8!! or could be that someone had it modified with a larger focus ring for use with video cameras. i ve seen people do this to a tokina 12-24 f4. they basically change the housing and the focus gears to give better responsiveness and accuracy.

best to check with nsc. or post some pictures from the front or other side of the lens? anw, do let us know when you find out, im quite interested. ;)

regards,
benjamin

Take a picture and check the exif using Nikon pp software?

My old 35-70mm f/2.8 non-D looks a bit like this. The front grip of the lens seemed bigger and wider. The markings are not colorful and like you said, no Nikon marking.

Seemed modified to me.

Any serial numbers?

and can you show the aperture lock mechanism?

Last edited:
it looks like the AFD35-70/2.8. but the focusing barrel is way too big. does it have any lens markings inside the filter ring? :dunno: