Is this a case of plagiarism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprewell

Nov 5, 2005
Punggol
www.bythewei.net
This image is widely displayed along NEL stations for Christmas promotions at Central

central.jpg

http://www.thecentral.com.sg/christmas/

Guess what? I stumbled upon this photographer's website and saw his portfolio

pacoperegrin.jpg

It belongs to a series of photos and can be seen here http://www.pacoperegrin.com/

What do you guys think?

all the p&p mass photoshoot people plagarise from each other

same model.. same outfit.. same day.. same timing

it's a lot harder to define "plagarism" per se when it comes to these things. i would only consider wholesale ripoffs plagarism personally.

for example, if ansel adam take one shot of mountain from position x, and photographer g takes from same position, same perspective.. even same light conditions.. plagarism or not?

I would say inspired by. All artist's find their inspiration in the work of others.

You are at a group photoshoot, one photographer moves off to get a different angle...others follow, are they plagarising his shot?

You see a photo here on CS, you like the pose on a model, the angle, the lighting, etc...on a shoot the follow weekend you have the model replicate the pose, angle, lighting etc...plagarise or not?

I know when it comes to art, if I paint the Mona Lisa and then sign my own name to it, its not considered forgery, its considered inspired by...and unoriginal. In academic circles "plagarism" is the unattributed without change copying of anothers work and then passing such off as your own...yet re-ordering words, paraphrasing and then altering to fit what you are trying to say is considered research. Maybe in photography this is just the same?

Using Night86mares example (of Ansel Adams) I would not consider it plagarism...others may feel different?

Wait...how do you know Central didn't pay this photographer for his work? :think:

Last edited:
btw, i am going to sound like prude again

pls provide link instead of the picture if there is nudity.

i just noticed it.

I concur. It is an inspired work...

yea, didn't realise too :sweat:

I must be desensitised...
Now global stage mah.....almost everything can get thru online even kopi, underwear and gentlemen`s literature.

The bottom line is that "plagarism" in and of itself defines the direct, unauthorised use of somebody elses intellectual property and passing it off as their own. This means that the original media has to be copied. Certainly this is different to patent infringements where the "idea" is itself protected. In this case, however, the original photo was not directly copied, it merely influenced the production of the second picture. No foul.

The photographer may be the same creator of these 2 photos.

Also, can't see it is a case of plagiarism.. I thought I would see more of the 1st picture in the 2nd pic when the 2nd one was downloading.. but no, they are totally two different concept.

If we take too restrictive view on photography plagiarism, you will see lesser work around.

but u'd have to admit the original is done better... hhahaha

So i think the artist wont' mind....

personally, though it's a far far fetched idea, if someone does get inspired by me and is able to excel beyond what i have created and understood my intent and carried it further, i think as photog to photog I wld be glad. Perhaps it is the concept that is harder to recreate.

But having said that ,often like what some have commented, these mass production moulds have cheapened the work especially in this case.

edit: looking at it again.... its not the photog to blame... its the cheesy add-ons!!! -.-

Last edited:
but then again being 'inspired' does not mean recreating several similar elements of the original image

1. black/white paint on the hand
2. similar posture
3. merry go round on the head
4. red/white background

being inspired is one thing. you make make something different out of the original image and call it yours.

but for this incident i call it blatantly copy another's idea.

and i spoke to the original photographer. he isn't at all pleased that someone (we are talking about a local professional photographer) copied his idea without at least informing him.

but u'd have to admit the original is done better... hhahaha

So i think the artist wont' mind....

personally, though it's a far far fetched idea, if someone does get inspired by me and is able to excel beyond what i have created and understood my intent and carried it further, i think as photog to photog I wld be glad. Perhaps it is the concept that is harder to recreate.

But having said that ,often like what some have commented, these mass production moulds have cheapened the work especially in this case.

edit: looking at it again.... its not the photog to blame... its the cheesy add-ons!!! -.-
Exactly.
As they say: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

i also think its inspired.

but if i were the photographer i would def be irked.

i spoke to the original photographer. he isn't at all pleased that someone (we are talking about a local professional photographer) copied his idea without at least informing him.

Maybe some of the Senior Members could chime in here: Is there a local etiquette for such? Or is it "every man for himself" and "haha, I got the $$$ first"?

i think it really depends... if you adapt the mood style into your own composition its ok.. but if you are seeking to essentially make a replica.. then thats not so good.

but then again being 'inspired' does not mean recreating several similar elements of the original image

1. black/white paint on the hand
2. similar posture
3. merry go round on the head
4. red/white background

being inspired is one thing. you make make something different out of the original image and call it yours.

but for this incident i call it blatantly copy another's idea.

and i spoke to the original photographer. he isn't at all pleased that someone (we are talking about a local professional photographer) copied his idea without at least informing him.
well chances are that his picture was taken as a reference by local design houses and our local photographer is asked to produce 'something along that line'.
it's pretty much the local industry standard.

honestly i would feel bad if my concept was taken and replicated like that but.. what to do?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.