is there such thing as fake L series lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

existonz09

Apr 21, 2009
a fren of mine in nepal has spotted a Ef 50mm f/1.2 L lens in a particular shop and said the salesman told him it was worth 12000RS (about SGD220).. i wanna know if that is the real deal? is it a fake; is there even such a thing as fake L lens ? maybe there's a catch ? broken lens, fungus infested or simply the salesman didnt know the actual price of it ? i've asked him to recheck with the salesperson and also test the lens..

what are the things that he should be looking for on a genuine L series lens (if there is such a thing as FAKE)?

He also said it was inside the retail White box..

a fren of mine in nepal has spotted a Ef 50mm f/1.2 L lens in a particular shop and said the salesman told him it was worth 12000RS (about SGD220).. i wanna know if that is the real deal? is it a fake; is there even such a thing as fake L lens ? maybe there's a catch ? broken lens, fungus infested or simply the salesman didnt know the actual price of it ? i've asked him to recheck with the salesperson and also test the lens..

what are the things that he should be looking for on a genuine L series lens (if there is such a thing as FAKE)?

Never heard of though and Canon's EF series boxes are black and white with a red band on the Canon logo on the white side. It's not completely white though.

For 220 bucks for an workable AF-able 50mm f/1.2 lens, i wouldn't care whether its Canon or L series hehehe

Ya he quoted not fully white . Its white with a red band . Dont know la, told him to go check tomolo .

get him to post a pic of it...;)

oh wow... thats cheap haha

but remember he's in nepal... so its probably like another company making canon mount lenses or something... never really know...
when i was there i got offered plenty of fake stuff so i wouldnt be surprised...

never know though... id say get him to test the lens at the place... if the image quality is good then might as well get it even if its not an L lens... its quite a bargain haha

At $220, as long as the iq seems at least as good f/1.4, why need to bother if its the real thing or not? Afterall, if its too good to be true, it probably is not.

if the particular shop is not a dedicated camera store, which in nepal is rather rare... den this could be a stolern or lost&found item... and the sales person may not even know the value... lol... let's hope so...;)

ok i reconfirmed with him.. Apparently the saleswoman told him the wrong price at his first visit.. maybe she thought he was a noob or something and didnt know about cameras.. Now she says the price is RS120000 roughly the same price of the actual lens.. and it's an import from Hongkong.. Sigh.. Only gave me a shock here for a while.. HAHA..

Status
Not open for further replies.