Is there such a tripod around?

Fireemblem

Nov 15, 2008
Kiasu Nation
Hmm i know to actually go google myself so spare me the google is your best friend as after looking for a few months still not able to find one.

load capacity: 8kg
Leg lock type: Flip lock (very important as i want it for the quickest deployment)
Max height without centre column extended: 1.3m
Weight:up to 1.5kg
Folded length: up to 40 cm

My thoughts are: folded length less than 40cm but max height 1.3m would means it has to be one where the legs can fold 180 deg upwards like traveller series. And 5 section so that each section is short but extends out long enough together. 5 section tripod are usually using twist locks. And also for the legs to fold inwards, flip locks might get in the way. Hence the difficulty in your search.

What you can consider are those with twist locks that can deploy quickly enough. Some of them are almost as fast as flip locks, the differences are probably negligible.

Hmm i know to actually go google myself so spare me the google is your best friend as after looking for a few months still not able to find one.

load capacity: 8kg
Leg lock type: Flip lock (very important as i want it for the quickest deployment)
Max height without centre column extended: 1.3m
Weight:up to 1.5kg
Folded length: up to 40 cm

What is your budget?

A few month looking for a tripod seems that you may be quite demanding. Have you tried to go to Benphoto and Cathay to take a look at their tripods. I would think that for tripods, sometimes looking at the specs are not enough. You have to go there and feel how stable it is.

I would say go to Cathay Peninsula with your requirements and see if they can come out with something for you.

My thoughts are: folded length less than 40cm but max height 1.3m would means it has to be one where the legs can fold 180 deg upwards like traveller series. And 5 section so that each section is short but extends out long enough together. 5 section tripod are usually using twist locks. And also for the legs to fold inwards, flip locks might get in the way. Hence the difficulty in your search.

What you can consider are those with twist locks that can deploy quickly enough. Some of them are almost as fast as flip locks, the differences are probably negligible.

yeah, actually i saw a few that fit my criteria but using twist lock so checking if anyone know a version with flip lock. Well from your description seems like not really possible

What is your budget?

A few month looking for a tripod seems that you may be quite demanding. Have you tried to go to Benphoto and Cathay to take a look at their tripods. I would think that for tripods, sometimes looking at the specs are not enough. You have to go there and feel how stable it is.

hmm budget max 500

actually already have a tripod that fit most of the description i wanted just that it is twist lock and i always find it a hassle to set up the tripod especially the part of sometimes forgetting to tighten and then the tripod shag to one side and have to guess which part is not tighten. I looking for something that can easily set up really fast, keep really fast and cross sling the tripod to the next location really fast.

So looking around if there is a flip lock version. Seems highly unlikely

Last edited:
Gitzo 1541T would be the closest I know. It is able to support 8 kg and is 41 cm when folded.

yup know of that but well abit out of budget and dun really fit my requirement of 1.3m height without centre column

How about this Sirui TX2205. Folded about 37 cm

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686089

Good enough for this man who review it.

cheers

well it is a also a twist lock type. I have already seen quite a few such models within my budget. So am just looking around if there just might be a flip lock version.

seems like not really possible to have one

Bro,

I just got for myself a Benro C069 with the B-00 ballhead. But that takes only up to 6kg. Understand that the one notch up (B-0) takes up to 8kg. And it folds to about 35cm only!!

Initially, I was like you - having doubts over the twist versus the clip lock for the legs but having used the twist version for a while, I am beginning to think that it is in fact easier. One movement unlocks all the sections - must practise lah.

Anyway, you may be able to get the C069 + B-0 within your $500 but if it exceeds, it doubt it will exceed very much.

Read this review here - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=729106

The C069 is really light and compact. I didn't regret it at all. Will be taking it travelling with me in June for 3 weeks to the Alps and Paris.

Call Jack (Ben Photo) - extremely helpful guy.

Last edited:
Well TS.... if there's no tripod out there that is within your spec or buget.... maybe its time to change your spec.... :think:

yeah guess i have to

Thanks everyone for the contribution.