is there such a thing as unprofessional photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisuke

Oct 1, 2012
Singapore
hi... i'm not sure if there is such a thing? like don't know how to do anything but like to act as if know everything

hi... i'm not sure if there is such a thing? like don't know how to do anything but like to act as if know everything

there are tones of such people everywhere in our life, in Cantonese, we call them 识少少,扮代表 (know very little, pretend to be an expert)

not just in photography.

FYI:

pro·fes·sion·al(pr
schwa.gif
-f
ebreve.gif
sh
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-n
schwa.gif
l)
adj.1.a. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
b. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.

2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
3. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

n.1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

professional[prəˈfɛʃən[SUP]ə[/SUP]l]adj1. of, relating to, suitable for, or engaged in as a profession
2. engaging in an activity for gain or as a means of livelihood
3. extremely competent in a job, etc.
4. undertaken or performed for gain or by people who are paid

n1. (Business / Professions) a person who belongs to or engages in one of the professions
2. a person who engages for his livelihood in some activity also pursued by amateurs
3. a person who engages in an activity with great competence
4. (General Sporting Terms) an expert player of a game who gives instruction, esp to members of a club by whom he is hiredprofessionally adv

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

pro•fes•sion•al(prəˈfɛʃ ə nl)

adj.1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood.
2. pertaining to a profession.
3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
4. engaged in one of the learned professions, as law or medicine.
5. following as a business something usu. regarded as a pastime: a professional golfer.
6. making a constant practice of something: A salesman has to be a professional optimist.
7. engaged in for competitive gain: professional baseball.
8. of or for a professional person or such a person's place of business: a professional apartment.
9. done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.
n.10. a member of a profession, esp. one of the learned professions.
11. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs.
12. a person who is expert at his or her work.
[1740–50]
pro•fes′sion•al•ly, adv.

Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/professional

Last edited:
I think I am one of them :(

English proverb - Jack of all trades but master of none :)

Er... a bit different, no?

It is more like, "Act smart." :)

actually jack of all trades, means that fella actually know a bit of everything but not an expert in anything.

hmmm one example will be.....

i copied a pro photograph..then put in my SD card in my camera...

then i simply show others the pics there...

pple will think i took it..

Unprofessional?

Unprofessional?

i think the problem here goes beyond being unprofessional already lol

The opposite of a professional photographer (i.e. one who does photography for a living) is the hobbyist, not "unprofessional photographer".

It is probably more accurate to term this as "photographer who is unprofessional" or "clueless dude" or "Guy With Camera" or "buffoon", based on what you describe. :)

Unprofessional?

Pro.. pro at ctrl-c then ctrl-v...

Unprofessional?

No. that is not unprofessional, but a downright cheat.

Actually cheat can be pretty professional too. They are called the professional cheat :D

Well... in my opinion, being an photographer but was unprofessional, I think we need to come up with assumption that the photographer is earning a profession by taking photographs (of any genre) and also maybe giving advises and consultation to other people (in regards to photography). However, he/she was not too ethical in his/her approach, gave wrong advises, being late for projects, doesn't dress to the occassion when doing a paid job, being sloppy in his work, give half-fxxk result for his work. well... that is unprofessional photographer.

Other people who know nothing but think he/she know the world and attempt to give advises (bad advices, or totally wrong advises) is at most acting smart and is truely irritable. Copying others' work or claiming credit for other people's hardwork is in a sense unprofessional (as in unethical approach to work) but can also be seen as cheating his/her clients and can be sued.

So many times I meet peoples who claim themselves as professional photographer... but never find anyone who confessed that they unprofessional photographer...

So many times I meet peoples who claim themselves as professional photographer... but never find anyone who confessed that they unprofessional photographer...

Of course lar. Where got people who are earning some cash or their living with photography, tell you that they are unprofessional (unless they try to dig their own grave). And those that never told you might be because they are not professional... just hobbyist like myself. And being a hobbyist and not professional are not the same as unprofessional.

In general, unprofessional behavior or unprofessional acting refers to violating coded or commonly agreed / commonly expected conduct.
It is not about whether somebody actually makes a living out of the activity, although it is somewhat implied as reference for the expected conduct.

actually how is this question going to help Newbie Section ?

Advise is to first worry about yourself and hone your photography skills as best as you can

But photographers do have different sets of ethics when shooting eg set-ups vs natural, out of camera vs heavy post processing etc etc

actually how is this question going to help Newbie Section ?

Advise is to first worry about yourself and hone your photography skills as best as you can

But photographers do have different sets of ethics when shooting eg set-ups vs natural, out of camera vs heavy post processing etc etc

questions like what TS asked, are too vague.

it's too open ended to come to any conclusion

Don't understand this question. Firstly, photographer here refers to one who collects payment or shoots for interest? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.