Is there something wrong with my flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

200sx

Jun 5, 2008
West
I am using canon 10d with 550ex. all bought secondhand.

The problems are
1. Is it normal when i take a photo in a very low light room, i can see the preflash before the shutter opens. but the resulting photo is dark.
2. I took a photo using my build in flash in a mirror, i can see the flash in photo, but when i use 550ex, i cannot see the flash in the mirror.

Is it normal that external flash behaves like that? or is my flash out of sync with my camera?

Seems like your flash is out of sync or something. It is normal when shooting in E-TTL mode to have a preflash - that preflash is used to judge flash exposure. However, when the resulting photo is still dark, something must be wrong here.

Might I ask if in example 2, you were shooting with the 550EX pointed straight ahead (ie. direct flash)?

ya direct flash. mmm... so i should see the flash in the mirror?

if it si really out of sync, where can i service it? how much?

It sounds like a faulty flash, but can you check a couple of things first?

1. Are there any settings on the flash (including custom settings) or is it all set to default?

2. Is high speed sync on? If so, does setting it off make any difference?

What are the settings on the camera when you took the test shots?

You should see the flash if you are firing direct into the mirror. The flash should fire when the shutter is open, if not it won't be illuminating the scene you are photographing. This means you should see a reflection.

Try what lenny says - reset your flash's custom functions, switch off high-speed and 2nd curtain sync (although neither of these should affect your flash, because either way, it should fire during exposure time).

The safest place to send it for repair is at Canon Service Center. There are other people who may be able to do it, but it's at your own risk.

sorry guys, i went overseas. i went back to p&g today and the shopkeeper david told me nothing is wrong with my flash.
These are the photos i took again against the mirror.
1. without flash. EOS10D, ISO400, f4, 1/2, 24mm, aperture priority
withoutflash.jpg

2. with flash. EOS10D, 550EX, ISO400, f4, 1/3, 24mm, aperture priority
withflash.jpg

I still could not see the flash in the mirror as u all stated. Please help.

that's awfully weird... if flash not seen during the exposure, that means no light from the flash is actually recorded wat...

Try checking with a different flash unit and a different camera if possible. So you can eliminate if it's a problem of the camera or the flash unit.
Nice to see how the white balance gets changed the moment you activate the flash :)

Clean all contacts, and check your custom functions. Make sure the part where it says something about 'external flash emits/fires' is 'ON'. If it's not, ANY external hotshoe mounted flash will NOT fire.

Thanks guys for all the advice! i tried all to no effect. So i lent it to my friend, he tested it with his 10D, 20D, 1Ds and 1DMII all shows that it flash too early and when the shutter opens, the flash is already gone. I will go back to the shop and ask for a replacement. wish me good luck since i bought a spoil flash, not sure if he would change it for me.

Thanks guys for all the advice! i tried all to no effect. So i lent it to my friend, he tested it with his 10D, 20D, 1Ds and 1DMII all shows that it flash too early and when the shutter opens, the flash is already gone. I will go back to the shop and ask for a replacement. wish me good luck since i bought a spoil flash, not sure if he would change it for me.

Yeah, odds are way, way in favor of a bad flash.

BTW what does your friend do? Collects Canon DSLRs? :bsmilie:

My friend is a safra photographer. i traded in and bought a 430EX. now playing around with my flash! sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.