Is there professional called photographer?

leyash111

Jun 23, 2011
Hi,

Just curious, how is the photography market here? Wish to explore going freelance (hee in long term)... Seems like most photographers are freelance? Seldom they worked full time?

~ if only I can shoot all day with a camera than type all day in front of a computer :(

Wow.. I want that too.. yes yes.. pray tell...

That is also something I would like very much :bsmilie:
Think most ppl is full time day job = daily expenses
Freelance photography assignment = photography equipment

Correct me if I am wrong.

there are many professional photographers in this forum but most of them keeping very low profile, you don't see them doesn't mean we don't exist.

to work as photographers for full time, making a living ones need to be very hard working.
in the contrary, we don't shoot all day all night long, we spend most of our time running a business, we usually spend less then 10-20% of our working hours behind the camera.

btw, usually I work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, I'm sure many other photographers also doing the same.

I think that's bound to happen once your photography becomes a business. Only other way to truly shoot is as a photojournalist for Nat Geo or a news network.. That's what I'd love to do tho.. Photojournalism.. Show everyone what the world is like thru my eyes.. hehe

~ if only I can shoot all day with a camera than type all day in front of a computer :(

Gosh... That will be tiring...

If you like to shoot, you can work for photography company that do area which u like to shoot.

U certainly don't have to run your own business to be full-time.

Regards,

Hart

Yeah :) to run a business requires a lot of commitment and hard work... Guess going freelance is an alternative :) working for a company in photography sounds idea :) except the fact that I don't think I can give up my current career for it...

:) the reality of life, to be practical at times...

Yeah :) to run a business requires a lot of commitment and hard work... Guess going freelance is an alternative :) working for a company in photography sounds idea :) except the fact that I don't think I can give up my current career for it...

:) the reality of life, to be practical at times...

Exactly the same mentality that why there are not many full time photographer....

BTW, "freelance" doesn't necessarily mean "part-time", though admittedly most freelancers are casual shooters looking for side income.The shift from part-time side-income (extra money to buy gear!) to full-time business (money to put food on the table) can be a difficult one.

Yeah, I actually thought of joining photography competition so that I can use the wining to fund my interest... That is provided if I have any special shot :)

BTW, "freelance" doesn't necessarily mean "part-time", though admittedly most freelancers are casual shooters looking for side income.The shift from part-time side-income (extra money to buy gear!) to full-time business (money to put food on the table) can be a difficult one.

Yup.. I agree.. I've heard of Full-time freelancers.. But I don't think I've heard of any in Sunny SG.. Anyone?

Yup.. I agree.. I've heard of Full-time freelancers.. But I don't think I've heard of any in Sunny SG.. Anyone?

All my professional photographer friends in Singapore are full time freelancers with photography contributing mainly to their income.

Thus far I had not meet any full time staff photog working for a company or studio with a fixed salary.

All my professional photographer friends in Singapore are full time freelancers with photography contributing mainly to their income.

Thus far I had not meet any full time staff photog working for a company or studio with a fixed salary.

I see.. so I got it the other way round.. cos most photographers I know are either wedding business (personal), or for some publishing company.. lol... Cool..

Freelance means independent contract service provider, not working under any company as an employee, it is working as full time, some places also classify as self employed.

Freelancer is not part timers doing moonlighting,

Freelancer is not working for FREE lunch.

the photography services directory and service wanted sections get all the terms mixed up, many "photographers" inside there also get confuse about the proper use of the terms, how can we expect customers/clients able to understand better?

Edit post - noticed Catchlights has already clarified the issue.

Last edited:

I was a fixed salary staff in my previous company. Other than me there are 2 other photographers. No assistants so we double up as support staff.

Shooting as a hobby(for fun) and shooting as a career(for current & future main income) are totally different thing.

Freelance means independent contract service provider, not working under any company as an employee, it is working as full time, some places also classify as self employed.

Freelancer is not part timers doing moonlighting,

Freelancer is not working for FREE lunch.

the photography services directory and service wanted sections get all the terms mixed up, many "photographers" inside there also get confuse about the proper use of the terms, how can we expect customers/clients able to understand better?

Whoa... Nobody said Freelance = Part time / moonlighting.. I think that's what we're trying to drive here. Pls chill... There are newbies here who just wanna learn.. Sorry if we offended you.

a better way might be to just sign up a "sole proprietor" ...

and call urself chief photographer of XYZ company hahaha:)

Or call yourself entrepreneur after you set up the company.

But it really doesn't matter what you call yourself... Just enjoy your work and that is more important.

But do remember one thing, photography is a lifestyle job, while you can get rich from it, it shouldn't be the motivation. Money only come when you are good at something and people buy what you are good at.

Hart

Last edited: