Is there film like Fuji Press 800 yet more contrasty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvin

Hi!
Read alot of good things about this high speed film for indoor ambient light shooting. Is there an equivalent in terms of grain that is more contrasty than the above? Thanks!

Regards,
Alvin

Curious to know why you would want more contrast? Low light and high contrast film doesn't sound like a good idea.

Have you tried it yet? I find its colours quite ok, try exposing it at ISO 640 if you want a bit more saturation in the prints.

Generally, high speed films like Extra 400, 800 and Press 800 are already slightly more saturated than real life.

If you shoot in solely in ambient light with these film you should be getting good colours IMO.

Any examples?

Anyway, the other equivalent would be Kodak Portra 800 if you want to try.

Try fuji xtra 800, more contrast than press 800.
Or try xtra 400 push 1 stop. even more contrast and grainy (even at 4R)

Colour definitely stand out (but skin tones....eh... )

Zerstorer said:
Have you tried it yet? I find its colours quite ok, try exposing it at ISO 640 if you want a bit more saturation in the prints.

Generally, high speed films like Extra 400, 800 and Press 800 are already slightly more saturated than real life.

Just wondering is it possible to get the colors for Press 800 less saturated? The last time i used it, the colors were so saturated to the point that it looked extremely unnatural. Or is it a lab processing thing (was done at Colorlab)? Thanks.

Snowcrash said:
Try fuji xtra 800, more contrast than press 800.
Or try xtra 400 push 1 stop. even more contrast and grainy (even at 4R)

Colour definitely stand out (but skin tones....eh... )

Lol...was about to suggest that also..but the skin tones and added grain not worth it I think. Heh.:)

Derrick: I've not tried Press 800 at Colourlab, but my experience with them for Xtra800(supposedly same formulation) is similar to yours, a bit yellowish skin too if I might add.

Seems to me that Press 800 colours are more natural if you give it a bit more exposure, or maybe it depends on the light. Some shots of Press800 pushed 1 stop in bright sun came out rather well.;)

alvin said:
Perhaps "more contrast" is inaccurate, i should have said "want the colours to stand out more"... :)
wah, P800 the colours so punchy already, you want more?? :eek:

actually i hear that Konica film is very saturated. haven't tried it myself but that's what i'm told. cheap too, if you can find it.

Hi

if u can find it in Singapore (last time ColorLab had some samples), Fuji NPZ 800 is less saturated than Press 800.

Btw Xtra 800 and Press 800 are essentially the same emulsion..... just that one is marketed as a pro film..... the differences are only in the way the pro film are handled and stored.

alvin said:
Hi guys thanks! I will try the recommendations. Not enough budget for a minolta flash so going by film speed :)

Regards,
Alvin

The cost of high speed film might soon add up to a flash. ;p

Red Dawn said:
Hi

if u can find it in Singapore (last time ColorLab had some samples), Fuji NPZ 800 is less saturated than Press 800.

Btw Xtra 800 and Press 800 are essentially the same emulsion..... just that one is marketed as a pro film..... the differences are only in the way the pro film are handled and stored.

NPZ has lower contrast compared to Press 800, it also has an improvement over grain size, the grains are less visible on it. Sadly, it's not marketed in Singapore because the ISO 800 range is quite saturated oredi.

Status
Not open for further replies.