Is there dust inside my lens or is it in the CCD?? HELPP..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt3000sg2

Oct 6, 2006
Hi, i just started off using the DSLR since jan 07 and this is the first time i have encountered specks of dust on the images from my D50.

the problem is that i do not know whether they originate inside my new lense (tamron 17-50 F2.8) which i just bought or the dust has settled in the CCD.

i did not notice this problem before i got the new lens.

i notice that when a higher F-number is used, the specks are more visible.

another thing to note was that i didn't really use high F-numbers before i got my new lense so perhaps that could be a reason why i didn't notice it before..

i have tried to check the CCD under the table lamp, but i can't seem to find any specks of dust on it. and have also tried to check thel nes but no dust in it..

pics are below..

can someone please enlighten me?? thanks a lot in advance :D

pictures are taken at different appertures.. sorry never post a similiar picture. i only noticed the spots when i got home..

F25.jpg

F25

F10.jpg

F10

F2.jpg

F2.8

so where does the problem lie? lens or dust in CCD? thanks in advance. i'm quite worried as it's my first purchase.

Simple test is to use another lens. If the problem disapears its the lens. if it still appears the problem is with the ccd. If the CCD is dirty get clean at the service centre.

yes, there's dust.

just send to Nikon Service Center. not sure about the price, but it shouldnt be too expensive. Canon charges 21 dollars for sensor cleaning thou =)

Simple test is to use another lens. If the problem disapears its the lens. if it still appears the problem is with the ccd. If the CCD is dirty get clean at the service centre.

or if you only have one lens, shoot on at 17mm and one at 50mm and check if the dust positions are the same.

But likely is the CCD lah.

yes, there's dust.

just send to Nikon Service Center. not sure about the price, but it shouldnt be too expensive. Canon charges 21 dollars for sensor cleaning thou =)

Canon oso never clean very throughoutly... I did it once.. end up bring down again next day and show them evidence of dust still remaining... they blow again... very troublesome and expensive.. better buy the swab and diy :lovegrin:

woah. thanks guys for your replies. :)

yeah i think i better go get it cleaned up.. my warranty still very long. :D

but normally if there's dust on the CCD is it possible to see it with the naked eye?

oh yeah. nikon servivce centre normally takes how long to clean it up?

but normally if there's dust on the CCD is it possible to see it with the naked eye?

relax la , dude .... dust is everwhere ;p

keep shooting ...it should not bother you too much ..at least, it doesnt bother us that much

Ask yourself..are you going to clean it again once you find another speck of dust few days after you visit the NSC...optically no issue la

You can always 'clean' them up using the right softwares :)

talk to the people at NSC nicely...they might do for free...:)

funny, I dreamt of dust on my sensor last night...:sweat:

relax la , dude .... dust is everwhere ;p

keep shooting ...it should not bother you too much ..at least, it doesnt bother us that much

Ask yourself..are you going to clean it again once you find another speck of dust few days after you visit the NSC...optically no issue la

You can always 'clean' them up using the right softwares :)

hmmm. what would be the right software to use, which can mass process many files with the same problem?

It takes about 5-10 minutes or so. I just sent my D70 for cleaning there a few days back. About $26 since i didnt have warranty...

Yes, if those big ones, use the "Mirror Lockup" to expose the CCD and you should be able to see them.

big big dust particles. time for DIY cleaning.

Does the 400D sensor cleaning effective on this?

haha. i think i was quite blur to have missed out on those specks when i did mirror lock-up..

Buy a brush (like the copperhill sensor sweep) and then clean it yourself. It's very easy and when you can do it, you can do it whenever you need to.

Wouldn't you damage the CCD?

I've been using the CCD Cleaner by Lenspen which is like Lenspen but for CCD only. Only $12 and it works very well. Save you plenty of $$$$$$$$$$. Will not damage your CCD but do not apply to much pressure on the CCD that's what you need to take note. Can buy it at CP.
How I clean my CCD:
1) use blower to blow off the bust
2) Only if blower can't remove, use the CCD cleaner.
3) If the dust is too stub, use speck grabber to remove.
Your CCD is as clean as a whistle......hope this helps.

I've been using the CCD Cleaner by Lenspen which is like Lenspen but for CCD only. Only $12 and it works very well. Save you plenty of $$$$$$$$$$. Will not damage your CCD but do not apply to much pressure on the CCD that's what you need to take note. Can buy it at CP.
How I clean my CCD:
1) use blower to blow off the bust
2) Only if blower can't remove, use the CCD cleaner.
3) If the dust is too stub, use speck grabber to remove.
Your CCD is as clean as a whistle......hope this helps.

sry noob here, where is CP? thanks

sry noob here, where is CP? thanks

Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274 and,
Cathay Photo, #02-215/216 Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard, Tel: 6339 6188

Status
Not open for further replies.