Is there anything wrong with my new A95?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dda95

Oct 3, 2004
hi guys, i'm a super noob to photography, just got my a95 from AP at $600

I'm running some test shots on auto mode on my a95.. but am kinda unsure about the quality of some photos.. (took everything mostly in auto mode..)

Is it me or is there anything wrong with the camera that i should be concerned about? I'm really really noob so i guess i might be using the wrong mode for pictures.

#1 lots of purple fringing.. (auto mode)
34558167.IMG_0026.JPG

File Name
IMG_0026.JPG
Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot A95
Shooting Date/Time
03/10/2004 5:22:11 PM
Shooting Mode
Auto
Photo Effect Mode
Off
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/30
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Auto
Lens
7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length
7.8mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
2592x1944
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Single AF
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
1532KB
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name

#2 Shoes.. alot of noise? (indoor mode)
34558640.IMG_0046.JPG

File Name
IMG_0046.JPG
Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot A95
Shooting Date/Time
03/10/2004 6:26:50 PM
Shooting Mode
Indoor
Photo Effect Mode
Off
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/60
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Auto
Lens
7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length
7.8mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
1944x2592
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
On
Flash Type
Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation
Red-eye Reduction
On
Shutter curtain sync
1st-curtain sync
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Single AF
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
1415KB
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name

#3 ketchup.. anyone? (indoor mode)
34559010.IMG_0050.JPG

File Name
IMG_0050.JPG
Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot A95
Shooting Date/Time
03/10/2004 6:47:42 PM
Shooting Mode
Indoor
Photo Effect Mode
Off
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/60
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Auto
Lens
7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length
7.8mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
2592x1944
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
On
Flash Type
Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation
Red-eye Reduction
On
Shutter curtain sync
1st-curtain sync
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Single AF
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
1338KB
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name

#4 dusk at home (landscape mode)
34559078.IMG_0048.JPG

File Name
IMG_0048.JPG
Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot A95
Shooting Date/Time
03/10/2004 6:45:04 PM
Shooting Mode
Landscape
Photo Effect Mode
Off
Tv( Shutter Speed )
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Auto
Lens
7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length
13.6mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
2592x1944
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Single AF
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
1597KB
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name

erm.. sorry bout the 'big' photos.. new to posting in forums as well.. hope someone can advise, whether it's me or the camera, but then again, a95 is pretty much a point and shoot camera?

the purple fringing is common with smaller cameras, especially at where dark areas have strong light piercing through. the a95 is a not-so-basic point and shoot. dont get worried over all these. your shots from pbase are not showing. change your image links to normal URL links. you can't show people photos from pbase unless you PAY for it.

wow.. quick reply! thank you sehsuan for you comments..

i set-up a temp pbase account in a haste, and just uploaded the above 'pictures' which are not showing..

the url is
http://www.pbase.com/mibac

*warning* extremely poor photography skills.. could have used the wrong settings for every pic!

so is my camera working as it should be?

yeah, it's about 101% ok. remember consumer products, including commodity products such as cameras, are meant to be built so that they operate right out of the box without problems unless you're really "suay".

now you only need to go out and start shooting. ;)

congrats on your new camera :)

:sweat: thanks for your assurance.. i can't trust myself! lolz

well.. i've had bad luck b4, with my razer viper mouse.. LED broken down after 6mths.. best thing is.. lost receipt.

so thought i should consult the pros here for peace of mind! well, hopefully would be able post some nice pics soon, after honing my skills that is. :D

nah, read about razer's problems quite a long long time back, not sure if it's still like that or not... are they still alive as a company? got resurrected somehow, if i'm not mistaken..

well.. they came back with the razer optical mouse.. and in a few months time they will launch the 1600 dpi one.. :bigeyes:

and well, the distributor in singapore is not-contactable, called for days no one picked up. email, delivery failure.. mayb they shifted place? *shrugz* :dunno:

only means of getting a replacement is thru the shop.. if have receipt the show will RMA for you though.

and well, the product is made in china.. haha.. nowadays what isn't? :think:
no one can out-manufacture the chinese man..

Only problem I had with an A75 was the camera would focus on wrong places, a real pain.

It had an option to turn off AiAF. I did, and just use the single center square for focus, works great now.

I been using my a95 more often now and am able to get better pictures. :D Not so much of the purple fringing anymore, auto-mode works fine :thumbsup: yeah.. the aiaf can be a pain sometimes.. centre focus-lock is the best :)

Bros

Same as u, another newbie with a a95 purchased a few days back. What's aiaf? U mean the number of squares u see when u press the shutter button halfway? I tried to take some macro pic and the image I saw on the lcd is blur Must I use a macro len? Must I turn off the flash when taking macro shots?

aiaf = artificial intelligence auto focusing if i'm not wrong..
it is some kind of autofocusing method that helps you to determine and focus on the subject which you are shooting at.. i.e. what you want to shoot lah. the camera sort of divides the 'scene' into 9 square and then choose which 'square(s)' to focus on lor.. but sometimes it tends to focus on wrong subject.. like you want to auto focus on a person but it focus on something else in the background instead.

when you use any camera must always press half-shutter first for the focus mechanism to focus-lock on something first.. then fully depress to shoot..

in macro mode.. i read that it's recommended to use tripod to prevent camera shake.. or at least place your camera on some solid surface, etc.. idea being to avoid shaking the camera when you depress the shutter release button.. cos if shake.. image becomes blur

sometimes when you use the full auto-mode macro, the auto-focus thing may not work properly.. so never focus properly so look a bit blur lor.. by the way in macro mode, ony the subject is supposed to be clear, the background deliberately make blur.. they call it 'shallow depth of field' i think

if automode cannot focus properly when you want to take macro shots, try the program mode.. the camera still automatically makes all the shutter and apeture decisions but you can choose 'centre' focusing.. which means only one 'square' in the center which you use to 'focus-lock' on the subject when you depress halfshutter..

about the flash.. i'm not sure man.. i'm quite noob at cameras too, only read up bits and pieces here and there.. personally i dun like use flash too much cos sometimes it's too strong and reflects too much off the object.. maybe you can placing the object in brighter lit areas when taking macro mode.. then again, there are many guides on how to take good macro shots etc.. off the web..

if you are just shooting normal macro shots.. no need lens lah.. the camera's macro mode is good enough.. if you want more shallow depth of field.. i.e. subject very clear, background more blur.. etc etc.. then i think need to get lens.. otherwise the a95 is pretty much capable of doing macroshots without adaptor lens...

eh.. abit lor sor.. i dunno if i got make any mistakes in what i've said but if have pls give me and greenarrow some shooting tips! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.