Is there any way to photoshop a wide view to make the view look wider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net
Eg: photo taken at 28mm, wanna make it look like it's taken with a 24mm.

Searched everywhere cannot find... Maybe cannot, maybe I've missed it.

Thanks. ;)

AReality said:

Thanks. ;)

Wider shot meaning that there should be more of a particular scene that you took rite? If you did not take it then how to photoshop it?...hehe was just wondering.

The only way I can think of is to stitch 2 picture together...maybe i'm wrong.. :dunno:

Can crop/resize/stitch/take double shots... Do anything U like...
Just wanna know if it can be done.
maybe by just a few mm can already. noneed from 28mm to 15mm so large change..

In the wide angle region, every mm of change is quite signicant. 24 to 28 is a big change.

You can stitch photos, but it will not look like it was taken with a 24mm bcoz the (natural) distortion of a 24mm viewpoint is not there.

You can distort a 28mm view further to make it look like a 24mm view, but it will not be the true angle of view of a 24mm. Is this what you're asking for?

AReality said:
Can crop/resize/stitch/take double shots... Do anything U like...
Just wanna know if it can be done.
maybe by just a few mm can already. noneed from 28mm to 15mm so large change..
If you want to include 'something' that you didnt capture from your 28mm then no software can help you. Even if you want to add only 1mm, still cannot.

AReality said:

Thanks. ;)

You can't physically change the field of view of an image taken with a 28mm lens to make it look like it was taken with a 24mm lens. However you can attempt to make the shot appear look wider by cropping out the top and bottom of the shot and or by modifying the persepective of the shot as illustrated in the example below that I've knocked up:

example.jpg

If you cropped it to make it appear wider, the size ratio is not the same anymore. You can only make a wide shot look narrower not vice versa. But you can make it appear as if it was taken with a wider angle lens using transformation in PS, if that's what Areality meant.

Thanks Ian! ;)

Liked the way you distorted the landscape... I'm quite interested in distorted views, or views from non-eye level perspectives... Trying to find new ways to look at boring subjects...

Newman said:
If you cropped it to make it appear wider, the size ratio is not the same anymore. You can only make a wide shot look narrower not vice versa. But you can make it appear as if it was taken with a wider angle lens using transformation in PS, if that's what Areality meant.

The size ratio is immaterial! What is critical is the psychological effect on the viewer.

AReality said:
Thanks Ian! ;)

Liked the way you distorted the landscape... I'm quite interested in distorted views, or views from non-eye level perspectives... Trying to find new ways to look at boring subjects...

In my work I do some pretty 'bent' (technical term for maximising distortion) shots with ultrawides (6-10mm fisheyes, 13-21mm primes) for clients so I know too well what you're after.

A couple of tips, when shooting landscapes and or cityscapes with a 28mm tilt the lens back to maximise the impact of the sky and make it pop out of the picture.

Tilting at ground level works wonders for some scenes, but remember to stop the lens down to around f/16.

If you're using an SLR you might want to lash out and grab a couple of fisheye lenses or an ultrawide converter if using a digicam. For SLR use the russian made manual focus units are cheap, give excellent images and highly effective for ultra wide use. You can get both the 8mm circular and 15~16mm rectilinear for around 300-350 SGD each new.

A lens I highly recommend for the budget minded is the Tokina 17mm which is a good value lens capable of great images at f8-11.

haha...i concur. The tokina 17mm. Although i personally prefer the one with the metal built in hood. Its cheaper too! Work well wide open too as a general purpose wideangle, if u're not printing beyond 8r

My cam has a 1.6 crop factor... getting those ultra-wides are $$$. Trying to go for cheap photoshop alternatives... :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.