Is there any difference if I do manual focus with AIs lens and with AF lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurrblurr

Sep 9, 2005
Simei, Punggol Central
I tried Manual focus with AF lens (50mm f1.8) It seems to be very difficult to get my object sharp most of the time need 2nd or 3rd try. Never try a AIs lens before but will it be much easier to get my object sharp with AIs Lens?

Ai-s easier to manual focus. As wat psychobiologist have mentioned about AF ring turning too little compared to the focusing ring of an Ai-S lens, it is very true.

I have a old 50mm f1.8 E Series (older than AI-S) and a modern AF 50mm f1.8 D lens. The older prime is much easier to manual focus. With the AF lens, just turning a little bit changes the focus by a larger margin than the other lens.

As said by others, the focusing throw on AF lenses is simply too short. Some AI/AI-S lenses' focusing throw require more than 180 degree turn from closest to infinity, allow very precise focusing.

Not to forget, it is also much easier to set hyperfocal distance on the older lenses.

Thanks all for the input. Will try it one day. Btw will MF ever faster than AF? Possible to do an event / wedding with MF lens? ;p

Thanks all for the input. Will try it one day. Btw will MF ever faster than AF? Possible to do an event / wedding with MF lens? ;p
event can, wedding cannot.

simply because if you get OOF shots for Event.. nvm.. not that bad

if you get OOF shots for wedding, you're gonna get hounded by the couples till the cows come home.

(but some people do use MF depending on the situation, i.e. still life, macro, portrait during weddings etc)

Btw will MF ever faster than AF? Possible to do an event / wedding with MF lens? ;p

Both methods have their pros and cons. It not a matter of what is faster or not - it's a matter of what is required and what are the conditions around. The right tool for the right purpose. But without a special screen I find it really hard to get an accurate manual focus.
Hyperfocal settings are also a way of manual focusing.

event can, wedding cannot.

simply because if you get OOF shots for Event.. nvm.. not that bad

if you get OOF shots for wedding, you're gonna get hounded by the couples till the cows come home.

(but some people do use MF depending on the situation, i.e. still life, macro, portrait during weddings etc)

There was a point in time that there were no AF, AE and PP
Nowadays, we become very dependent on technology.
I guess the customers becomes more demanding these days :)

Yes.

Based on my own experience, there are a few ways to focus fast using MF lens.

One is to prefocus using the distance scale. By judging the distance between the film plane to the subject, you quickly adjust the lens, take up the camera to fine tune in the viewfinder and shoot.

Since i hardly shoot event / wedding if MF lens, when i manual focus, i do the above sometimes. If not I'll just focus thru the viewfinder. When you are experienced with your lens, you can judge very well how much the twist in the focusing ring will result in the change in focusing plane. Takes alot of training...haven't reach that level yet.

Another way if you're using zoom lens is to hyperfocus. Or you can set the aperture to higher values like f4-f5.6 so that the margin of error for focusing is much greater.

Just an update. I uses MF 55mm f1.2 with D700 yesterday. The color, the sharpness is really :bigeyes: But out of 5 shoot only manage to get one sharp one and worst sometime the focus point is not what I want. overall still alright. Think for now, if I need the shallow DOF manual lens is my only choice :(

How do people do it before AF was invented in the late 80s? Having said that, a smaller aperture was also used to ensure it's within the DoF... and people don't get to pixel peep.... ;p

Last edited:
How do people do it before AF was invented in the late 80s? Having said that, a smaller aperture was also used to ensure it's within the DoF... and people don't get to pixel peep.... ;p

Coz they dun print above 3R in the past... no worries there.... :bsmilie:

Coz they dun print above 3R in the past... no worries there.... :bsmilie:

Think is they do not print 4R but 3R

They used to use their legs to push their cars, like in the Flintstones, and used a bird to etch the wedding portrait on stone. :bsmilie:

Really. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Then there would have been no wedding shots before 1986 or there abouts (when F501 came out).

Are we getting too attached to technology here?

My dad used to shoot weddings with FE, F3 and FM2. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.