is there any advantages for dslr body made of metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesnt seem to be able to be cleaned off even by using a damp cloth or lenspen... so is sweat residue so stubborn on a magnesium alloy body?

The magnesium is only the chassis i think, the exterior is still plastic. Somehow the higher end models' plastic feel better. It could be due to the weight though, or just my perception.

I think most(including d5000 and 500D) has a metal chassis, the salesman is trying to bluff you?
Maybe bluff is not such a good word.....
EDITED: checked, d5000 has a metal chassis too. So far, I only know leica lens is metal, rather than plastic, construction.

Last edited:
jus being curious. i went to the sept comex. i asked the diff between d5000 n 500d. he told me d5000 body is made of plastic, whereas 500d is metal.

but wat is the use of having the body metal? :D
metal stronger and more robust the plastic isn't it?

Metal bodies have better weather sealing as well.

jus being curious. i went to the sept comex. i asked the diff between d5000 n 500d. he told me d5000 body is made of plastic, whereas 500d is metal.

but wat is the use of having the body metal? :D

Hi,
Metal chassis in cameras make them stronger and less prone to warping with use. Don't remember exactly which model Canon made in the 90's (suspect it was the EOS888) where heavy use actually warped the chassis and caused a non flat film plane and resulting in blurry pictures.

Some plastic can be stronger than metal.

I agree that the inner frame, if made of metal/magnesium, is more stronger, and durable. For the pro Nikon lenses/bodies, even the outer finish are metal, and powder coated. Those are more prone to scratch marks.

Eg, D2H. Prism area, camera base all metal. The place near the front dial for the vertical grip is the among the first to appear silver, when the black paint has worn out from usage. Comparing with the D50, the base will never change color, as it is already black plastic.

Eg, 17-55/2.8. Outer lens barrel is all metal. One scratch, and it is obvious and never go away. Even the groove for the lens hood, after heavy usage, will appear silverish. However, look at the 18-70/3.5-4.5. The external is plastic. Scratches are not so obvious.

when drop on floor got higher chance of survival

haha.. so 500d is oso plastic body lah? think sales talk cant be trusted fully:bsmilie:

I think it's more a matter of where the sales talk comes from.

EDITED: checked, d5000 has a metal chassis too. So far, I only know leica lens is metal, rather than plastic, construction.

What about the 70-200Ls? Longer tele-primes? All metal as well I believe. The old Nikon Ai-S primes are mostly metal, as are some of the newer ones, like the 85mm f/1.4 (mostly the AF-D models).

Metal bodies have better weather sealing as well.

Weather sealing is separate from chassis or body material. It just happens that weather sealed bodies are usually the higher end ones, and thus have magnesium allow body material.

What about the 70-200Ls? Longer tele-primes? All metal as well I believe. The old Nikon Ai-S primes are mostly metal, as are some of the newer ones, like the 85mm f/1.4 (mostly the AF-D models).

70-200 f4IS not all body parts are metal

I'm more concern about the fitting out of the parts actually rather than the material used. I can't stand minute movement or squeaky parts. It really irritates the hell out of me.

You may get fried by lightning strike if your body is all metal. :bsmilie:

Of course metal! Drop camera from 1 m, roll on the floor, body still intact and no cracks. If plastic, especially low strength types, maybe gone case liao.

Also, metal camera versus plastic camera while trying to get to a good photographic position, plastic camera usually loses. Same goes for plastic and metallic lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.