Is there an "end of life" for DSLR or other digi cams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaoken

Deregistered
I know there is an "end of life" for printers which marks a total of how many prints it has printed.
I've encountered the "end of life" service for my Epson printer in the past, when I was printing documents and suddenly, it stop printing.

I'm wondering if there is a "end of life" for the cam for both DSLR and compact PnS digi cam.
Is there a limit of the shutter count for the camera?

I really can't imagine what will happen if I shoot an event or something then this thing happen (if there is such a thing).. :sweat:

you didn't know that dslr got shutter life?

this is because it is mechanical.

p&s use electronic shutter, so quite different.

you can read this.

as for shooting events, most professionals (who are paid) will have a few bodies, in the event of such failure, they have something else to shoot with.

you can replace the shutter at dslr servicing centre. costs vary.

Sure there is an end of life for cameras.

End-of-life is a term indicating that the product is in the end of its product lifetime and a vendor will no longer be marketing, selling, or promoting the product and may also be limiting or ending support for the product.

Mostly the shutter life ends at when the pic numbers reaches all 9 right? (E.g. P9999999)

I'm using an Olympus E-510.
Does anyone know the end of life for this model?

Mostly the shutter life ends at when the pic numbers reaches all 9 right? (E.g. P9999999)

I'm using an Olympus E-510.
Does anyone know the end of life for this model?

no, there is a shutter rating given by the manufacturer. but not all the time.

most entry level tend to be rated at 50,000 to 75,000, i might remmeber this wrongly.

pro level more, i am not sure of exact figures.

in any case, there is a lot of variance, so i won't place too much faith on the figures. best to get a backup camera and accept fate if both backup and primary fail at the same time.

sometimes, camera shutter fail at early 1x,xxx ... sometimes can go to 2xx,xxx and beyond, and still work, even rating is 50k. it is really luck.

please see shutter database here, and note that this is submitted by users with not much checks done, so take with pinch of salt

I know there is an "end of life" for printers which marks a total of how many prints it has printed.
I've encountered the "end of life" service for my Epson printer in the past, when I was printing documents and suddenly, it stop printing.

I'm wondering if there is a "end of life" for the cam for both DSLR and compact PnS digi cam.
Is there a limit of the shutter count for the camera?

I really can't imagine what will happen if I shoot an event or something then this thing happen (if there is such a thing).. :sweat:
FYI, printer can be reset, hope you didn't throw it away.

don't worry so much about how long a camera can last, the shelf life of most camera outlast the photographer's interest on taking photos.

Most camera reach end-of-life long before the shutter fail.

An example is my 10 year old Sony DSC-F505, I can no longer get battery and parts for it but the shutter is still good.

Last edited:
don't worry so much about how long a camera can last, the shelf life of most camera outlast the photographer's interest on taking photos.

Wise words indeed. Bull's eye :thumbsup:

My first digital camera, canon s110 was retired last year at around 8-9 years. Batteries would die after 5-10 shots, zoom wasn't working, buttons got stuck etc... It's lived a hard life. :)

FYI, printer can be reset, hope you didn't throw it away.

I know, I reset it but in the end spoilt again.
So decided to give up on having a printer.

If I need to print, I'll print it in school at the print shop. ;)

Most camera reach end-of-life long before the shutter fail.

An example is my 10 year old Sony DSC-F505, I can no longer get battery and parts for it but the shutter is still good.

I'm not too sure as mostly when I go out for shoots, mostly I'll take around >100 shots each time for photo shoots/outing. :sweat:
But it's once or twice a month I'm going out for shoots.

Don't when will it die on me.. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.