Is there a way to achieve a depth of field when using non SLR camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2006
Sorrie ah, newbie so ask newbie question - is it possible? So far, some of the photos I took using my camera does have the effect, but I think mostly only when I zoom in to one object (which means the object has to be relatively far away).

billpepsi

Jan 2, 2005
The 3rd Rock
cynovatron said:
Sorrie ah, newbie so ask newbie question - is it possible? So far, some of the photos I took using my camera does have the effect, but I think mostly only when I zoom in to one object (which means the object has to be relatively far away).
Unless shot at macro level.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
Yes, but you have to use a camera with a relatively large maximum aperture eg Canon G series (G3, G5, G6). Even then, the DOF will not be as narrow as aDSLR's because of the difference in sensor sizes.

The other option is to get a cheap large aperture film camera like the Olympus mjuII. The automatic exposure program is biased towards large aperture, so your background gets nicely out of focus.

pai

Nov 24, 2004
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
if you keep your camera quite near to your subject, and the background further away, it is easier to get a blur background.

try using your lens at the longer part of the zoom. at wide angles, you have a lot of depth of field, hard to get blur background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom