Is there a term to define this style of photo processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally love that "vintage" look. I don't know if theres a specific term for this style.

I think she created those actions herself so that should be okay but people using presets/actions to achieve that look is a major turn-off. I hope people go thru the curves of processing than to just get their desired outcome with a click.

well, it's just a name.

how it is done, many ways, the most common way is to go to photoshop --> curves --> adjust each individual R, G, B curve according to taste.

if you still don't understand, i can do a print screen series to show you what happens.. :) but not now, i have to go to school now. :bsmilie:

I am sure there are existing tutorials out there that explain these techniques? don't think you have to go through the trouble of recreating one? thanks.

I am sure there are existing tutorials out there that explain these techniques? don't think you have to go through the trouble of recreating one? thanks.

i just yahoo-ed "how to do cross processing"

there you have it, http://www.sallyswebsite.com/crossprocessing.html

i'm sure you can find more, nightmare can focus on his studies first :bsmilie:

Looks a bit lomo to me :)

yes, it is called cross processing.

btw, ready made actions are fine soemtimes, but if you want higher level of control, knowing how to do it is best. playing with photoshop is really the best way to learn it.

so i began playing with the individual RGB curves recently and can witness some interesting results. however i do not understand enough of what is technically happening of what those curves truly represent. I will need to look up some theory about those colour curves.

so i began playing with the individual RGB curves recently and can witness some interesting results. however i do not understand enough of what is technically happening of what those curves truly represent. I will need to look up some theory about those colour curves.

your changing the amount of red/green/blue in different sections of the image... i think its darks, lights, shadows and highlights... forgotten exactly now though

your changing the amount of red/green/blue in different sections of the image... i think its darks, lights, shadows and highlights... forgotten exactly now though

the slope detemines the contrast for each section
say S curve for RGB channel, mid tones will have a steeper slope thus higher contrast than darks and the lights.

dun really play with individual color curves but i suppose the logic is the same.

actually i know the curve is supposed to alter the highlight, midtone, and shadow values for each RGB or combined. what i do not understand is why it appears as a straight diagonal line? and why making it an S curve increases the highlights while reducing the shadows? I suppose the upper right half (above the diagonal line) represents "more" while the lower left represents "less". why not make it a horizontal straight line to make it more obvious then?

horizontal are the inputs and vertical outputs
so say the mids has steep gradient like "s", the low inputs will be mapped to a lower output, whereas the hi inputs will be mapped to a even higher outputs.
These are as compared to a gradient of 1.... which is the default
so thru this u can see the mids will have a higher contrast. the darks and lights which has a low gradient has lower contrasts.

i did came across a page that explains this... let me see if i can goggle it..

On a seperate note in terms of color tone.
Its relatively straight fwd on the RGB channel, but when its is broken down to individual curves and how the dynamics each curves combine to give a photo a "vintage" feel like wat TS has posted, is difficult for me.
For me, I can only trial and error on each different curves to get and overall effect that i want...
Perhaps anyone can give us some advice?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.