is there a moniter calibrate tool that cost less than 150?

Daddypal

Aug 7, 2006
Pasir Ris
is there a moniter calibrate tool that cost less than 150?

on budget to calibrate my moniter =(

:cry:

Try to look for something in the second hand market.

There are some cheap new ones out there, but don't think they're reliable.

An alternative is to borrow from a friend. It's a one time thing.

Think CP is selling the Spyder Express at 177, slightly above your budget and you might want to consider... Im not sure how good is the Spyder express so you need to ask ard if you are considering

For 2nd hand you need to check whether the older Spyder2 can calibrate your monitor. There are some limitations especially for newer monitors. Sharing a device with friends is also possible, keep in mind that you need to repeat the calibration regularly (every 2nd..3rd month).

calibration is not recommended as a 1-time only exercise........... LCD wear and tear from use, constant on/off, restarts, playing lots of video , dvd's etc etc etc will throw off the colors slightly.......so , every 3 months ?

Its just like tying your shoe laces...... they come loose once in a while

p/s ............ if you are not anal picky, use one of the free color adjustment/calibration programs online ...... better than nothing

Last edited:
One should calibrate regularly as the settings will drift. However, unless the monitor is old, drift will be little - meaning 3 months is a conservative period.

hi guy, i am new. what is calibrate monitors?

moniter calibrate is to get the most accurate color between the moniter and the photo u print out.u wouldnt wan to see your photo look nice when u edit but greyish when u print..i hope someone would lend me their tool.too poor to buy.haha.challenger sell any of it?

moniter calibrate is to get the most accurate color between the moniter and the photo u print out.u wouldnt wan to see your photo look nice when u edit but greyish when u print..i hope someone would lend me their tool.too poor to buy.haha.challenger sell any of it?

Not the whole picture. There are different tools to calibrate a monitor and printer respectively. In reality, calibrating a monitor is only half the story. Because after being satisfied with the colours as shown in the monitor, you still have no full control when you send your file for commercial printing. For full control, you would need to buy a printer and then get it calibrated also.

hi guy, i am new. what is calibrate monitors?
Are you also new to Google? :dunno: This forum here also has a search function, upper right hand. Topic is not new, pops up regularly. Easy to find all the previous threads. Do also check "Digital Darkroom" here.

To say even after you calibrated monitor, to actually get decently accurate print, you will need get a good printer with better color rendition, and calibrate every paper you intend to use in it to actually get a decently accurate print. And even then you couldnt get exact.

Cheapest no frill hardware calibrator is a Spyder Express and some pointed out above. Its simple and only calibrates the monitor. Everything else cost a good bit more then your budget. Of course if you look online theres actually cheaper alternative like pantone huey but after shipping to Singapore it wont be much cheaper anymore.

Dont forget you need to view the images in a colour managed browser/software. Try not to go all the way to calibrate everything. In the end you'll be a fantastic technician.

calibration is not recommended as a 1-time only exercise........... LCD wear and tear from use, constant on/off, restarts, playing lots of video , dvd's etc etc etc will throw off the colors slightly.......so , every 3 months ?

Its just like tying your shoe laces...... they come loose once in a while

p/s ............ if you are not anal picky, use one of the free color adjustment/calibration programs online ...... better than nothing

Actually if you can hold the user settings constant, the only thing changes is backlight intensity. If you try to compensate for that, the color temperature may change slightly.

One-off calibration and profiling is much better than none, given the current (low) standards out of the box.

TS:
Another thing is - don't get the last-generation spyders - they don't work correctly with wide-gamut displays and will cause color cast.

Last edited:
Thanks grantyale for the clarification .............. much appreciated :thumbsup:

TS:
Another thing is - don't get the last-generation spyders - they don't work correctly with wide-gamut displays and will cause color cast.

Erm... how to tell if one has a wide-gamut display? If my laptop is a pretty old model (> 2 yrs), do I still have to worry about that?
(Apologies for the thread-crashing, but since it flows with the current thread...)

don't get the last-generation spyders - they don't work correctly with wide-gamut displays and will cause color cast.

Can you clarify the issue. I have the spyder 3 elite, used them for 2 monitors and did not notice any colour cast.

Erm... how to tell if one has a wide-gamut display? If my laptop is a pretty old model (> 2 yrs), do I still have to worry about that?

I don't think you can tell unless you put them side by side to compare, unless you have a trained eye. My notebook is more than 2 years old - IBM T61 with flexview. That I believe is the only notebook with wide gamut IPS screen. I don't know if there is a rival in the current market in terms of wide gamut display...I will be interested to know.

Last edited:
Actually if you can hold the user settings constant, the only thing changes is backlight intensity. If you try to compensate for that, the color temperature may change slightly.

Same observations with my LCD. The change in color temp is very slight.